Picky runner ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckmobile, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Duckmobile

Duckmobile Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2011
    I think my ducks are not getting enough protein. They are laying eggs but have eaten all the snails in my backyard. They don not eat duck feed either, anything harder then peas they do not eat. It is really weird. If I give them duck feed, they will not touch it and just start quacking. I normally just give them oats, cooked beans, some rice, eggs and lots of veggies. I have tried to soak hard food in water but they still do not eat it. They are really picky, they do not even eat apples. They are free range as well and the eggs are smaller then normal duck eggs but I get an egg from each of them each day.I am wandering if there are some kind of protein and calcium I can give them. I have gone to our local parks after rain to find snails for them I can never find any.Please help. Thanks.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Have you tries mixing some of the pellets in with the oats beans rice eggs and vegies? You could try that as a way to slowly get them used to eating them. Start with a sprinkle and gradually increase the amount given until they learn it is also food and are happy to eat it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by