(pics added) Ok I am VERY new to ducks and I just aquired a duckling

ok if what I learned from the video is correct (and I did it right) then we have a hen. So maybe I should get a drake and another hen. I know my kids would love it.

Mollie

If you've got a female then no rush, it's the males that *have to* have a mate because they get so aggressive. I'd just wait and watch craigslist until someone is getting rid of one male too many rather than rush out and pick up more duck-chicks. Actually that's exactly what I *am* doing as I ordered all female sexed birds!
big_smile.png

lol ok. But how can I be sure that I did it correctly the duckling that I have and the ones they had in the video are different ages. Mine is much older. I was thinking of getting another hen first just in case.

The same "geometry" would apply, I've just observed that the more feathers in the way the harder it is to get a good look. Basically what you're doing when sexing is inspecting the vent, and gently and slightly pulling the vent to each side to see if anything pops out. No squeezing or anything like that. No matter what though, getting another duck-hen chick couldn't hurt.

My first duckling was raised by a buff orpington hen. She was a very sweet mom but, when the duckling was about six weeks old, she wanted less and less to do with her and she and the other hens started to pick on the duckling quite a bit, even though, by then, the duckling was almost as big as they were. (I don't think a silkie momma hen would do that though.) By the time the duckling was about eight weeks old I HAD to find her a young duck friend.

I was told that she would 'do what came naturally' and swim (as ducks do), but she really resisted swimming in the water for what seemed like a few months even though her new 'sister' happily splashed about. She swam once when she was a few days old and her 'momma' threw such a shrieking fit, that she didn't want to try again for a long time.

Be careful though -- one duckling became two - and then five - and then nine (and you can probably guess the rest of the story).

I have since then had hens raise a few other ducklings. I have one bantam cochin who is really protective and never wants to give her babies up, but eventually the ducklings get bigger than her and become interested by 'their own kind' and she is forced to go back and join her flock.

A picture of my first duckling and her mother:

31977_hen_and_duckling.jpg

Aww what a sweet Picture!!! Your hen there looks like my hen that died about a month ago from an illness that no one could pinpoint. I miss her very much. Out of the 7 eggs that I hatched from her I only got one hen so she is a treasured chick.
My duckling is starting to get some tail feathers in for sure, so, am I right to guess that it is about 4 weeks old? She sure makes a mess of the waterer in the pen. is that normal? I know ducks like water but is this just something that I am going to go through always?
Thanks,
Mollie

Yep, it's always a big splashy mess anytime a duck finds water. I have a small brooder and dont have room, but it ocurred to me to put down a large pie tin, some hardware cloth, and the water dish on top of that it would catch the water that gets splashed.

Thanks to you all! Well our little duckie is growing fast, some of her feathers are starting to come in. Or atleast she it loosing that Yellow coloring. We have started giving her treats when we put her in water so she has her mind on other things than her "mom". I am planning to get another duckling buddt for her as shse seems kind of lost in the middle of all of our chickens. I was going to put it off but then I noticed that she doesn't have any "friends" so to speak. So I am going to make an effort to get her a buddy as soon as I can. My son named her Shire (from The Lord of the Rings). She is so cute and we are loving her antics.

Mollie

Back
Top Bottom