Pics of chickies!! How do you know they are healthy? Help!

Berritt

Songster
9 Years
Mar 2, 2010
We have 4 chicks. They are all supposed to be 4 weeks old today! The Rhode Island Red and the Americauna are MUCH more feathered than the Buff Orp and the Black Australorp.

The one I am concerned about is the black one. She just seems to be more tired than the others. She is active at times, she definitely eats, but she'll lay down more than the others. Other than that, they all seem fine. I just worry. I suppose I worry about everything!!

The Buff Orp is the smallest. Is that ok? She seems well. She is very active and friendly. They are all getting used to being handled and don't run away anymore!

They weigh:
Red- 4 3/4 oz
Buff- 3 3/8 oz (is she a runt?!)
Am- 4 oz
Black- 4 1/8 oz

Are their weights ok?

Here they are during their "floor time" I spread some chow down to give them something to do. You can see the black one (Butterball) got bored or tired and lay down.

4423227088_cf86dff459.jpg

4422462131_af5463a41a.jpg

4423226916_37c4b0a5ef.jpg

They ARE a little scraggly looking today because the naughty kitty was sitting on the table above the tub they are in trying to get a peek and tipped a cup of milk onto the poor things. (just the milk, the cup stayed on the table. plus, the tub has a screen because I think the cat would EAT them, given the chance) They cheeped so loud... didn't like that ONE bit.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry just yet. At 4 weeks, mortality should be less of a concern. Try giving them some scrambled eggs and yogurt and see if she perks up a bit.

As for their weights, I would worry if one "Feels" skinny when you hold it in your hand. The keel bone should NOT stick out all by itself. If you have one like this, separate it and give her extra protien, maybe some sugar water. You'll want to watch how much she eats/drinks.

Last edited:
I hope so. I have been googling and can't find average chick weights except for Broilers and they are beastly! So can't really compare, there.

I've never done this before (chickens) so it's all learning as I go.

They look fine to me. I won't worry as long as they are eating drinking and poo. They are very cute.
Michele

I have 8 4-week old chicks, too. I'll weigh them later and post their weights to see how they compare. They all seem to have a very prominent breastbone when I hold them. I have no idea what they are supposed to be like, though.

My chicks are also much more feathered out than the ones in your pictures - is it something I'm doing differently? I got them from a local breeder and they are definitely exactly 4 weeks old today. Weird.

Maybe the buff o is a banty?? I think they come as banties, not sure. They all look fine to me. Yogurt and soft scrambled egg would give them some extra protien and calcium.

Back
Top Bottom