Pics of my duck hut...finally

Quote:
Thanks ....it is 12 x 4...I had the DH plan it big enough to accommodate "duck math"
big_smile.png

Hello,
I think I am gonna use your "design" since I am needing a new duck home.
By the way everything you write is pretty correct having had ducks in the past go many a winter with snow & cold & ALL feed & water is outside.
They don't care....as long as the water is not frozen, and the feed is good....a good door keeps the snow/cold out....and you get lots of "comments" when you open it up in the morning!

In the spring just shovel up the "run" when it thaws...I used a heavy garden pitchfork to lift up the matted manure from the ground.
Jim Brown
Lockport NY

Last edited:
Quote:
That's great...yes, a lot of people think they have to have water 24/7...well mine are very healthy and show that they don't.Here is a pic of the front of the hut(still needs to be stained to match.I went with exterior stain for the whole thing versus paint since ducks are so wet...
57454_037.jpg

The stairs are pieces of leftover landscaping timbers and plywood...all of it will eventually be stained and the shade for the ducks and food will be expanded,stained and shingled.
57454_lawn_and_birds_005.jpg

Quote:
Thanks ....it is 12 x 4...I had the DH plan it big enough to accommodate "duck math"
big_smile.png

Accomadating duck math is a good idea
lol.png

Not just a good idea...a necessity!
lol.png

Quote:
Thank you! Not fancy but useable and well functioning.My ducks are actually the easiest to care for...

You try to strike a balance between form and function....and for me function usually wins more. That would function very well. I like it when people post pics because it gets the gears turning in your mind of what will work best in your personal situation. How big is the fenced area? And pardon me if I ask a duplicate question, but how many do you have on that fenced area?

Quote:
Thank you! Not fancy but useable and well functioning.My ducks are actually the easiest to care for...

You try to strike a balance between form and function....and for me function usually wins more. That would function very well. I like it when people post pics because it gets the gears turning in your mind of what will work best in your personal situation. How big is the fenced area? And pardon me if I ask a duplicate question, but how many do you have on that fenced area?

That's ok...and yes,function wins for me too. The fenced area is 18 x 25...I now have a large kiddie pool and a small one.Next year we hope to put in a stock tank waterer for them and expand the run.Right now I have "extras" that are butcher age to butcher...but all year it will house 20 ducks. The hut gives them roughly 2.5 square foot a piece.In the run they have 22 or so square foot each.
I ended up this year with a lot because I wanted to expand my number of breeds and bought some through TSC and had to get 6 each time.Some I have sold,some I will butcher,some are for eggs, some are going to be used for breeding and lastly,some are for pets.There is an ever changing number of birds here it seems
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom