*Pics* of my new call duck pen I'm building

Feathered Wings

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Georgia
This is a pen i have been working on for a little while the rain we had here stopped construction for a while.
But the sun came out and i got back out there and it's almost done.

I still have to put on door latches, a drain in the pool, and of course legs and a roof.

It's 4 x 5 foot and i would have to measure it to know the height just not one to measure.
I didn't follow a design or pattern i just built it how i thought my calls would enjoy it.
Plenty of room to move around and flap wings and a pool thats easy to clean and remove if need be.
Nice rest/nest area to stay out of our breezy cold winter winds or to brood some cute baby ducklings.
The bottom wire is cage wire not hardware cloth so it's easy on the feet i had thought of adding a resting board next to the pool and i may still add that.
I will be building 3 of these for my 3 pairs of Call Ducks

Heres the pics let me know how i'm doing
smile.png

This first pic is the front
2009_10030047.jpg

Second pic is the side view
2009_10030046.jpg

Third pic is pool area
2009_10030043.jpg

Fourth pic is rest/nest area with my grey call modeling it for yall
2009_10030051.jpg

Fifth pic is looking at a side view with my grey call so you can tell how roomy it is
2009_10030061.jpg

Finally a pic of my grey male call isn't he just "Beautiful"
2009_10030052.jpg

Super job, it looks great. You could also use rubber ribbed stair runner as your resting board. It is cheap, they won't slip and of course you can rinse it off easy.

I have similar raised pens to the one you are building.

2%20raised%20pens.JPG

giffy
------------------

Quote:
Thanks i was wondering what to use and the being able to rinse it is a real plus.
I was thinking of a rubber bath tub mat but i like the idea of the runner too.
I tried to make the floor plan as open as possible to cut done on the clinging poop.
My pool is removable for cleaning and i'm trying to figure how to put in a drain to have the water empty away from the pen.
I have 3 doors front, rest area and pool area so i can clean it throughly when needed.

Nice setups. My first thought was to place a standard sink drain and a capped drop or water valve to dispose of the bad water into your garden bucket.

I flush my swimming pools for the geese and ducks every other day, and that waters my elderberry patch and some of the pear trees.

Last edited:
Quote:
I use the cheap sink drains with a rubber stopper. I drain it into a bucket each morning and use the water around plants and trees.

One other thing you might do, the fourth photo of the nesting area.......you could actually staple the wire on the bottom, rather then the top, then fill in the 3.5 inches with straw/hay or shavings for nesting. The back covered area of mine (photo below) has the wire attached to the bottom of the frame and the space is filled with bedding. If you have a problem with the bedding going through your wire, cover the wire with anti-skid drawer liner. You can get a roll from WalMart cheap. It still has the holes so you can get air in the nest area but not so large that your bedding falls through.

giffy
-------------------

raised%20pen%20under%20const3.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom