Pics of my shed that I want to convert

Thank you for your reply. I just walked out of Home Depot from picking up something unrelated & went to the lumber & building supplies area. Was starting to wonder if maybe just building something from scratch would be more worth my time but since reading your reply I think I can do it. I really wish I had some time off AND people willing to help. My sister (who lives with me) works 3rd shift & my daughter's father works a butt load of overtime, so it might be up to me to do this. If I arm myself with enough info I should be able to tackle this before winter sets in
You can do it!:highfive:

You'd take the whole door off, remove the latch hardware, and trim some(1/4-1/2"?) off one edge where the two doors meet.
Close one door all the way, then close the other till it hits the first.
Run a pencil line onto the first door all the way down the edge of the second door.
First tho, are the tops of doors pretty much the same level?

I'd reshingle the whole thing, and replace any wood rotted from that leak.
Would be a great opportunity to modify roof to have eaves at the bottoms of the upper roof planes.

How's the floor?
Any 'soft' spots' especially where the siding is rotted from roof leak?
Is the whole thing sitting up on blocks or piers??
Anything living under there?

Oh wow, now I'll definitely need help with that. I'm only so strong :)

There is a soft spot on the floor, directly below that rotted spot on the ceiling.

I'm honestly not sure what it's sitting on or if there's anything living under it. I've never seen anything crawl out from under it but that doesn't mean much.

I'd like to make the roof more A frame instead of barn style. I'm guessing that's possible. How much do y'all think these repairs are going to cost me?

:woot ZONE 7!!!
You lucky dog! Your winters will be much milder then mine.

Ok so to start make a list of everything that needs fixing. Then one of what you would like to have in there like storage for shavings and egg gathering.

The door issue could be from one side settling or the other being raised by ground swell over the years.
To check level (without an actual level) take a small white container and mark inside using a sharpie and ruler every 1/4 inch. Fill halfway and set on the floor making notes of where and whether level or not. If unlevel note how far off. A larger diameter tub would be better if you have one. (Very redneck way of getting a rough guess lol)

In your last pic it looks like there is some siding damage. Easy enough as that type of siding is still available at Home Depot.
Your roof...... The leaks are a bit more to deal with. Shingles are not super easy if you have never done them before. Since this would be a repair and not a full roof replacement I think you may want to call a few contractors for estimates.
The best part of that is they will share tons of info without realizing you are actually pumping them for it. ;) Ask tons of questions about whole roof condition, decking condition, truss condition, soffit fascia board condition, how they blend the new shingles with the old etc.
The fascia board that I mentioned is the board you show damaged/missing from the tree growing there.
You are likely going to gain enough information to be able to do the roof yourself. Don't forget tar paper and correct nail types. By the way I don't think your roof decking looks overly bad from the side I see.

Adding a chicken door under the window will not compromise any structural integrity. You can put the door or windows anywhere without structure risk so long as you do not cut a wall stud. Wall studs CAN be cut but would require a more complicated process.

As to insulating.... Your zone won't need it. It allows mice and rats to make happy homes in the walls too. I recommend not insulating.

To add a dividing wall..... You will need to do some framing and build or buy a door. That of course can be addressed once the structure is repaired.

Yes you will need tools and safety equipment. Safety glasses are cheap compared to an eye injury. Good gloves are a must too. Saw horses, a jig saw, a circular saw, drill, etc may seem costly but doing this repair and set up may have you building things like chicken viewing benches. :)

Thanks Old hen for calling me in on this one. You know I love projects!

What is this siding called? Just shed siding? I'm sorry but I really have no idea about any of this. Hopefully I'm not getting in over my head

Fixing this structure will be WAY easier and less expensive then building from scratch.
You may be amazed what you can do once you arm yourself with determination and knowledge.

Power tools can be intimidating at first. They really are easy to use once you have the knowledge.
Don't psych yourself out we are here to help.

Aart gave really good info on fixing the door. Tricky if you do it alone but not impossible. Just have to think it through. Take your time and look at how things are connected.
Another thing you can do with that door would be to make one side stationary and one side opening. Just a thought I had looking at it.

A sheet of that siding should run you about 35 bucks and a pack of siding nails. It is simply called sheet siding. It does come with different width grooves so measure what you have. Oh and take a picture of it with you. The lumber guys are always helpful. It does come as a 4'x8' sheet. Home depot can cut it down for you. Measure, measure, measure draw it out on graph paper so you don't forget where you are at with things.

All in I think fixing your structure and adding what you want should run $400 tops. That is even with buying some tools. Building a shed that size is over a grand in materials alone.

Fixing this structure will be WAY easier and less expensive then building from scratch.
You may be amazed what you can do once you arm yourself with determination and knowledge.

Power tools can be intimidating at first. They really are easy to use once you have the knowledge.
Don't psych yourself out we are here to help.

Aart gave really good info on fixing the door. Tricky if you do it alone but not impossible. Just have to think it through. Take your time and look at how things are connected.
Another thing you can do with that door would be to make one side stationary and one side opening. Just a thought I had looking at it.

A sheet of that siding should run you about 35 bucks and a pack of siding nails. It is simply called sheet siding. It does come with different width grooves so measure what you have. Oh and take a picture of it with you. The lumber guys are always helpful. It does come as a 4'x8' sheet. Home depot can cut it down for you. Measure, measure, measure draw it out on graph paper so you don't forget where you are at with things.

All in I think fixing your structure and adding what you want should run $400 tops. That is even with buying some tools. Building a shed that size is over a grand in materials alone.

Thank you so much! Now to just get some tools. I wonder if I should start a blog about just this project alone. It would probably help a lot of people

Thank you so much! Now to just get some tools. I wonder if I should start a blog about just this project alone. It would probably help a lot of people

Do keep track of your adventures! Reading will give others a sense of empowerment, and some folks a chance to offer helpful advice.
We opted for metal roofing on top of plywood sheathing for our chicken house. You might find it easier and less expensive to put something like that on top of what is already there. The folks at your home improvement stores will be amazingly helpful. Take photos on your phone with you as well as your questions, plans and measurements (write them down!).
As for tools, the most versatile, easy to use power tool we have is an impact driver - minimal body strength required!and not at all expensive.

Do keep track of your adventures! Reading will give others a sense of empowerment, and some folks a chance to offer helpful advice.
We opted for metal roofing on top of plywood sheathing for our chicken house. You might find it easier and less expensive to put something like that on top of what is already there. The folks at your home improvement stores will be amazingly helpful. Take photos on your phone with you as well as your questions, plans and measurements (write them down!).
As for tools, the most versatile, easy to use power tool we have is an impact driver - minimal body strength required!and not at all expensive.

I've got impact driver & drill set (they come together) in my Home Depot cart. I also have a jig saw, circular saw & saw horse in there too. Total of $264. Haven't bought any of them yet though, because I'll have to charge them :(

I think you should start with a good ole tape measure, a regular claw hammer and some graph paper.

Hammers come in many forms each for a different use. Choose a standard claw hammer like this one.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Estwing-...er-with-Shock-Reduction-Grip-E3-16S/100351734

Yes there are less expensive ones. I recommend this one for durability and the shock reduction handle. Heck it is only 20 bucks and will outlast fiberglass and wood handled by years.

There are tape measures that have the 1/4, 1/8, 1/2 inches marked. Super helpful since this is a first go at building.

Excellent suggestion above on the impact driver. Ryobi has a combo pack that has a drill, an impact, 2 batteries and charger. I would be lost without mine.

I think you should start with a good ole tape measure, a regular claw hammer and some graph paper.

Hammers come in many forms each for a different use. Choose a standard claw hammer like this one.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Estwing-...er-with-Shock-Reduction-Grip-E3-16S/100351734

Yes there are less expensive ones. I recommend this one for durability and the shock reduction handle. Heck it is only 20 bucks and will outlast fiberglass and wood handled by years.

There are tape measures that have the 1/4, 1/8, 1/2 inches marked. Super helpful since this is a first go at building.

Excellent suggestion above on the impact driver. Ryobi has a combo pack that has a drill, an impact, 2 batteries and charger. I would be lost without mine.

It's in my cart. I hope I'm not being a bother, but why start out with just those tools? I mean, once I start taking bad siding & shingles off, I'll need to replace with something & those something's will probably need to be cut. Just trying to get as educated as possible

Back
Top Bottom