Pics of my shed that I want to convert

A big a$$ tarp for covering the project while it's in process.
The roof itself will take some time and should be done first.

Do you have birds waiting to use this shed coop?

It's big project and will take some time, add the learning curve time in and that could triple it. Depends on how much time you can/want to spend on it. Not trying to discourage you, just being realistic going in.

A big a$$ tarp for covering the project while it's in process.
The roof itself will take some time and should be done first.

Do you have birds waiting to use this shed coop?

It's big project and will take some time, add the learning curve time in and that could triple it. Depends on how much time you can/want to spend on it. Not trying to discourage you, just being realistic going in.

No, no birds waiting to go in. I don't plan on buying any chicks until at the very earliest next spring, possibly spring 2019. I'm more than willing to take my time & get it done right. I know I can do it, it's just how long will it take, as you said.

As far as building/framing goes, I understand what is being done, I have trouble with the Why? & How? A lot of YouTube videos I've seen don't go into that because they for the most part rightly assume their viewers already have some knowledge. I am a true beginner

The tape measure so you know exactly what size the damaged areas are. The hammer so you can tap that floor in areas not looking damaged and get a feel for how solid it is. The graph paper for drawing the space out and making notes on how badly damaged it is.

Pictures are great but very hard to write on.

You will want to know what you are dealing with before gathering materials to save trips to the store mid project.

I think you should start with a good ole tape measure, a regular claw hammer and some graph paper.

Hammers come in many forms each for a different use. Choose a standard claw hammer like this one.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Estwing-...er-with-Shock-Reduction-Grip-E3-16S/100351734

Yes there are less expensive ones. I recommend this one for durability and the shock reduction handle. Heck it is only 20 bucks and will outlast fiberglass and wood handled by years.

There are tape measures that have the 1/4, 1/8, 1/2 inches marked. Super helpful since this is a first go at building.

Excellent suggestion above on the impact driver. Ryobi has a combo pack that has a drill, an impact, 2 batteries and charger. I would be lost without mine.

21Hens!!! You are so right about starting with the basics. The only thing I'd suggest to accompany your good points is this: Try the hammer on for size before you buy it! If it is not balanced for one's build and hands it will be too hard to use.
Extra battery packs are a good idea.
and Say-ruh: The measuring tape and graph paper will help you see what you have and plan what you want. Between the claw on the hammer and a (small) pry bar, you can take things apart - very satisfying, IMO. As for not understanding the
"why", seems like the wizards here at BYC are willing and able to answer questions!

No, no birds waiting to go in. I don't plan on buying any chicks until at the very earliest next spring, possibly spring 2019. I'm more than willing to take my time & get it done right. I know I can do it, it's just how long will it take, as you said.

As far as building/framing goes, I understand what is being done, I have trouble with the Why? & How? A lot of YouTube videos I've seen don't go into that because they for the most part rightly assume their viewers already have some knowledge. I am a true beginner
Great!
We can help you with the why's and how's.
A lot of it is getting in there and trying, you'll make mistakes and have to redo stuff, but IMO that's one of the best ways to learn. I've cobbled a lot of stuff together in the 35 years since I got my first jig saw and drill when pregnant with my second child, made tons of mistakes, but most of it was fun and satisfying and it has become a very useful skill.

The graph paper is a great idea, better to figure it out(most of it) on paper than in lumber especially those oopses. But them I'm a drafter by trade, so drawing is how I 'think'.

Great!
A lot of it is getting in there and trying, you'll make mistakes and have to redo stuff, but IMO that's one of the best ways to learn. I've cobbled a lot of stuff together in the 35 years since I got my first jig saw and drill when pregnant with my second child, made tons of mistakes, but most of it was fun and satisfying and it has become a very useful skill.

The graph paper is a great idea, better to figure it out(most of it) on paper than in lumber especially those oopses. But them I'm a drafter by trade, so drawing is how I 'think'.

Y'all have been so helpful so far, the encouragement helps too!

I'll come back here to the Coop forum with pics when I finally get started :)

Great!

And holy crap! You were pregnant with #2 when you started this sort of stuff?!? That's awesome!

Well, I had built or helped build some stuff previously...but that's when I seriously started acquiring tools and working mostly on my own. My husband at the time was thrilled to buy me tools as gifts (instead of diamonds-his words), and was an auto mechanic but hated doing DIY around the house, so I learned how. First thing I built was large sewing table out of a couple sheets of plywood then a mini indoor jungle gym thing for the kids out of scraps and scavenging...all in an apartment.

Back
Top Bottom