Pics of nest boxes please

kuntrychick

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
Alabama
I've been through so many threads about coop design, nest boxes, etc. I've looked at the coops section as well & the coop interior thread. I am interested in seeing pics of your nest boxes with maybe a description about the size, depth, etc. Hopefully hubby is gonna get to the nest boxes on the new coop tomorrow.

I remember in particular seeing a couple of solutions to hens roosting in nest box by putting luaun or something. I remember one having a V-shape cut into it. I also remember one that I can't think of right now & I have searched & searched & can't find it....something to make it uncomfortable to roost on the edge of the nest box. I would like to incorporate something like this in front of our nest boxes because that is a problem we have right now...usually one of lower ones in the pecking order getting knocked off the roost & then going to the nest box.

Or a link to a certain thread including one of these I'm talking about will be fine cause I can't find the ones I'm thinking of...must have overlooked them. I can picture in my mind, but can't describe it...lol

But i would also like to see any pics or plans & descriptions of any nest boxes. We are going to do the ones with outside access with lift p lid.

Last edited:
Reportedly a 12" L x12" W x9" T with a 3" lip is the best, but our nests are roughly 15" L x12" W x 14" T with a 6" lip. We use the small dish tubs you can buy under $2 each from places like Walmart's. The reason we use these is that I was looking for something to easily clean and keep mite free. This seemed to be the best solution for us. We have a brace under the front and back of the tubs to keep them from tipping over and a roost bar in front of each for the gals to jump up and then step into the nests.

Our coop was still being built when this picture was taken, but I think it gives you the gist. We have a total of 12 nesting boxes for 39 hens.
IMG_20110921_192053.jpg

Honestly, if I had to do it over again, I would make them shorter in height, but the rest seem to work out just perfect for our girls! We don't have any trying to use the same nests over and over. They do spread out to lay their eggs... and talk about EASY to clean!?! Not sure it could get much easier than this, but willing to find out.
wink.png

Oh... and we DO plan to have doors behind the nests for easier access without entering the coop, but our weather has turned inclement and we wanted to get the flock moved in now. So those doors will have to wait until probably next spring or summer!
sad.png

Last edited:
My nest boxes ar 12 x 12 x 12 and I just a week ago I put in these excelsior nesting pads. Previous I was using shavings. What a mess the girls made by kicking them out.

1 week after using the pads: not much mess. I normally clean up the floor every day but wanted to see how messy it would get in a week.
The girls like more privacy on the "bottom floor" nest boxes.
66234_img_4045.jpg

66234_img_4041.jpg

66234_img_4042.jpg

I purchased these at eggcartons.com. They are the 13x13 excelsior nesting pads

Quote:
Love those pads. They don't fall apart when they scratch around in there? We are just beginning to get eggs but they seem to get the shavings stuck on them. Plus the pullets are scratching in there so that the bottom of the nests is just bare (no shavings).

Quote:
Yes! That's right thanks! But, there was another one that caught my eye too...like thin wood in front of nest box is the only way I know how to explain it. it was similar to fireguy's sort of but had "dips" sorta in it & I believe it was kind tilted outward or something....?? I can picture it on my mind, just after tons of searching can't find it.

I think I remember someone having a thin sheet of metal or something in front of the nest box but I was concerned of the ch ikons hurting their feet on the edges of that, but I'm thinking that other one was in the same thread.

Lovin' all these pics. I know hubby is gonna get aggravated at me because I'm gonna change my mind like 100 times....LOL

Quote:
Love those pads. They don't fall apart when they scratch around in there? We are just beginning to get eggs but they seem to get the shavings stuck on them. Plus the pullets are scratching in there so that the bottom of the nests is just bare (no shavings).

So far after a week they have not fallen apart. I have seen them scratch to make it comfy just as they would with shavings. I am very pleased with them.
"13" x 13" Excelsior Poultry Pads are manufactured from Great Lakes aspen excelsior fibers.
Excelsior nesting pads help to provide cleaner, fresher, and more hatchable eggs. They are economical, easy to place in the laying nests and help in faster egg gathering. The eggs are on top, clean and fresh rather than having to hunt and dig for eggs as with some other products. They also draw moisture from droppings which drop to the paper below, out of the area in which the eggs are laid.

Available in many different pack sizes, please choose desired pack size from drop down list above."

Back
Top Bottom