PICS OF THE CHICKY!!!

knynrstylvr222

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 5, 2008
Here it is this morning happy and from what I can tell healthy too!!! If anyone can tell me what breed they think it is that would be great!! Also, when will I know if it is a roo or not??

chicky014.jpg

chicky013.jpg

Amazing!!..Congrats on getting it to hatch out, you did a very good job setting up a makeshift bator!!..You will make a great vet some day!!! So stick with it!!...
jumpy.gif

All of us will turn you into a poultry vet!!...LOL

Lots of breeds of yellow chicks that can even turn white...and figuring out its sex won't happen til around 3 or 4 weeks old...

Thanks a lot, can't wait to see what it turns out to be im sure the weeks will fly by. I don't have plans of being a poultry vet, but before I went to college I didnt do much equine either, so maybe it will be a hobby!! When will I have to bring him to the vet? and what will he need if anything? Are poultry vets hard to find I live in Jersey by Atlantic City. I work with a vet now, but she only does nail trims for parrots not many chickens by me.

Good luck on finding a vet for poultry. You don't need a vet is the chick is not sick. Chickens are very social so I hope you can find it 1 or 2 more chicks to have as companions.

Congrats on that hatch. You pulled off a real whammy!

It does not need vet care....Everyone here takes care of their own birds unless a serious problem arises and you can afford an avian vet
wink.png

Last edited:
Here are some possibilities (it hatched from a brown egg, right? Not white?)

White Plymouth Rock
Buff orpington
New hampshire Red
White Leghorn
I am sure there are others!!

You'll know more when the wing feathers start coming in. Try posting pics in a week or so.

On the gender guessing, it'll take a LOT longer. You might have some inkling by like 5-6 weeks..... but also could not know until much later than that, 9 weeks or so?? (Help me out, guys, when do cockerels usually start crowing?)

Quote:
I got the egg from a biology lab where we were disecting them to view fetus development. I took it back to my dorm but i had nothing for an egg and it had already started incubation. I kept the egg under a heat lamp and just monitored the temp and turned it 3 times a day. It was not a good incubation, and I didnt really know when it was gonna hatch because I wasnt sure when the school started incubating or anything. Around what I thought was day 18, the air pocket was really big and I didnt think it was gonna come. Then it started to wiggle and peep. Then it went completely silent and no movement for a day, I was sure I had killed it. Yesterday it started talking again, pipped then hatched last night!! I could not believe it myself. Just goes to show you that mother nature and God know what they are doing and if it is meant to be the little things will hatch!!!

Back
Top Bottom