Picture of droopy hen. Please help!

cheepsforkeeps

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/55351_img_0449.jpg
This
is our 16 wk old hen who 3 days ago starting following us instead of leading the flock and she started walking very slowly and tail was slightly bent to one side. I am trying to treat her at home but not sure how to treat?
Symptoms:
She is sleeping most of the day, not drinking. I am trying to hydrate her with watermelon, which she is eating. Also has ate yogurt, and egg yolk. No parasites, clean vent, feels normal weight. Crop seems empty, no bad smell. Poops are small and more watery. I think because she is eating runny food. No apparent cuts or bumps. Seems sensitive near base of tail. I am trying to figure out if this is injury or illness. She had access to yard. There is wisteria, they all picked at new shoots some time back, so I cut them out. All rest of 7 chickens seem great.
I know it's hard to tell... but really feel helpless and wondering if there is anything else I should be doing besides keeping her warm and resting and bringing her soft foods???

Last edited:
How much baby vitamin? The middle bone is pretty prominent. She feels a little thin in the breast. There is no bloating. She is no not even interested in watermelon... her favorite. I am really worried. Any ideas to do just in case? No bloody poops either, small and infrequent poops that are more on the wet side. I have to be gone all day tomorrow taking camper to beach an hour away wondering if I should take her with us or if it would be more stressful.

Last edited:
Quote:
Any sign of worms in her poops?
Is she still drinking?
Does she forage near any buildings that may have flaking lead paint that may have dropped to the ground?
Have you tried giving her some scrambled egg? plain low-fat yogurt?

We have a pretty normal suburban back yard with lots of plants. No lead to my knowledge. I have 7 other very healthy young hens (knock on wood). I don't see worms. She had tape worm at 2 weeks old from feed store. She was treated by a vet. The poops look watery from such a soft diet. Does it sound like worms? I have just given her some boiled egg yolk and watermelon again and she is standing up and eating now. I will try scrambled egg and warm oatmeal as well. Any thoughts on keeping her with us inside our camper. We have a fridge so I could give her food through out the day since she isn't eating chicken food or drinking.

As far as egg bound.. the time frame I had figured that they would start laying would be in October. Could they lay this soon? She was hatched aprox. April 14 th.

No drinking that I can tell. I have been giving her water (as of today with a syringe) I have added electrolytes. We have a pretty normal suburban back yard with lots of plants. No lead to my knowledge. I have 7 other very healthy young hens (knock on wood). I don't see worms. She had tape worm at 2 weeks old from feed store. She was treated by a vet. The poops look watery from such a soft diet. Does it sound like worms? I have just given her some boiled egg yolk and watermelon again and she is standing up and eating a little now. I will try scrambled egg and warm oatmeal as well. Any thoughts on keeping her with us inside our camper tomorrow? We have family in town with unmovable plans for the beach. We have a fridge so I could give her food through out the day since she isn't eating chicken food or drinking.

As far as egg bound.. the time frame I had figured that they would start laying would be in October. Could they lay this soon? She was hatched aprox. April 14 th.

She is old enough to start laying, if you can fit 2-3 finger between her pelvic bones then she is old enough, but that does not mean she is laying internally.

Vitamin E boosts the immune symptom, so if she is sick a half dose (baby vitamins) might help her.

Did any of your neighbors tent their houses recently? I had a hen do this after the neighbor tented, she recovered just fine.

We had some chickens do that last year and we never did find out what the problem was but they died. I'm sorry, I hope you can find a cure. We gave antibiotics and wormed them, but they still got weaker and weaker and lost more and more weight despite that I was giving them fluids.
So far this year I have had a couple that looked like they were going to die and I used red gatorade and dipped their beaks in it, they came back healthy! Amazing stuff. One was just a new baby about a week old!
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom