Pictures of Possible APA Standard Marans Please...

Chef

Chicken Connoisseur
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
So.Cal
Here is a pic of a hen of mine. I will have more to post tomorrow.
19853_bc_pullet_2.jpg

Pics please
caf.gif

big_smile.png

Chef

Last edited:
Yes it does appear that way to me as well Drom. Very beautiful healthy looking birds you have. I have a cockerel coming up that looks like he has potential so I will post pics of him tomorrow. Can we see some of your roo's?

Chef

Would love to see more pictures of your birds. That hen is lovely. My Roosters are nice boys, just not as correct as my hens. I would like to have a completely black-breasted roo-with not a stitch of extra color anywhere on his breast. All of mine have some markings on their breast. One really has very few, but I think I just need two roosters; one with a few markings on the breast and one completely black-breasted.

The rooster in the front in this picture has really nice confirmation, structure and size. He is the alpha roo and has a wonderful temperament as well. However, he would not be APA show quality because he has too many copper markings on this breast. It's hard to see in this picture but he does. But he's a good boy.

11818_marans_22_weeks_006.jpg

Last edited:
Well this is a cockerel about 8 months old and my blue copper hen. This is just what I have on the computer. I will get the others pics tomorrow. I had a roo with an all black chest but had to cull him due to a comb spur. I hope to find another though
idunno.gif

19853_dscf3717.jpg

19853_dscf3718.jpg

Edited to add pic

Chef

Last edited:
Oooo. I think you kept the one that has a perfect comb. I think he only has 5 points. He looks from the side there like he would be black breasted Chef. Does he just have a few spots?
Well you did the right thing with the one that had the sprig I guess. It's best to have fewer, better roosters.

Last edited:
Yes this one does have some coppering in his breast but I think his comb is correct. I am waiting to see how this new one feathers out. I only see a couple spots of copper on his breast. So not totally black but pretty close. Its just gonna take alot of hatching but it will happen.

Chef

"I would like to have a completely black-breasted roo-with not a stitch of extra color anywhere."
That is a fault in thr French Standard

" All of mine have some markings on their breast."
That is what they are supposed to have.

This shows a basic difference between the proposed APA Standard and the French Standard.
David

Quote:
Actually, this is a very recent change in the French standard. Until, I think, a few months ago, the French standard read " the cock must be "black with copper finery, the lancets of the hackle and of the small of the back which are widely copper-red edged, and a black or lightly reddish-brown marked breast."

The proposed APA standard reads "Black or with slightly Copper marks". Virtually identical.

Now, of course, the very latest version of the French standard reads "The breast is slightly spangled which reddish-brown spots…" Not much different. The proposed APA standard simply adheres to the older French standard, rather than to its most recent revision.
smile.png

Thanks for posting hen pics! I really like them. What kind of temperment do they have? It looks like everyone that posted pics only have BCMs. (together at least) Do they not get along with other breeds? Or is it just a serious commitment to one breed?

Hope this thread will stay open for a while!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom