pictures of your duck pens.

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
Can anyone show me what their pens and shelters look like on an average day? After all the duck activity of the day? I don't have ducks just growing curious.
wink.png
SO Pics please.

22826_100_0784.jpg

To answer Hennyhandler's question re: a pond-
Yes, there is a small trough in there now for them to play in and when they freerange in the backyard, they play in this area.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's almost exactly what I've drawn up plans that I'd like to build someday - after I move off my mom's property of course.
big_smile.png

For now, my mom's 7 acres is slowly being overtaken by pens like this one:
28352_000_2643.jpg

Except it has a proper roof on it now - we used this thin, white acrylic material (I think it's the same stuff tubs and showers are made of these days - originally, we used some metal roofing, but the 10-year-old cut her hand on an edge, so it was torn off and switched out); my neighbor had a HUGE pile of 4x8' panels of the stuff lying in his yard - he told us to take whatever we wanted. We had to combine sections of it and seal the joints with caulking to get a good overhang.

I have two pens just like the one pictured, and another one half the size - which I'm actually going to renovate into a chicken coop later this spring, and move the two mallards that are in it into a nice little a-frame tractor. All the duck pens have spacious runs and kiddie pools that the ducks go muck up during the day. I don't have pictures of the runs because...well, they're brown and barren, because the ducks have killed all the vegetation. A few pine trees are all that have managed to survive.

Edited to add: Here's some pictures of the small pen when we were building it last fall:
A view of the inside with the front door wide open (the food and water goes on the plastic tub lid to contain most of the mess), and the back "duckie-door" that the ducks use to go in and out:
3902122462_579c2290c4_m.jpg
3902125284_5b4032a314_m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Could we see a picture of how the house is closed up in the winter? Not seeing a door. Looks beautiful tho'.

Back
Top Bottom