Pied Gene In Chickens Believers😋, Discussion Thread.

How Many Of You Believe the Pied Gene Exists In Chickens?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
This thread is dedicated to those who believe the Pied Gene Exists in chickens, & to discuss personal studies on the subject. This a place to kindly share our thoughts, & not judge anyone else's opinions, or ideas relating to the subject.

Remember to keep things friendly?

Okay, what I've discovered was merely accidental.
I've learned that the Pied Gene is linked to the Mottling Gene which seems to be actually true.

My discovery begins with a Mille Fleur hen, & a Silver Duckwing OEGB rooster.
The rooster must've been split to mottled to produce a rooster who has mottling upon the Silver Duckwing color pattern.

Here's Father, & son.
20200806_134439.jpg
1118191032a.jpg
20200806_134852.jpg
To continue with the discovery.

Father of the chick I have now, is named Sqeakers. He produced a Pied chick who I named Bigfoot.
The mother was a Silkie Hen, who I need to figure out which one it was. Gonna be crossing Squeakers to my silkie hens next spring to figure this out. One of the silkies is carrying the mottling gene.

This is Bigfoot.
20200806_134524.jpg
20200806_134602.jpg
20200806_134632.jpg
I originally thought his parents were a Partridge Silkie, & RJF/Hybrid. Nope, I was wrong about the parents.

I am not a believer: Pied as such does not exist in the Chicken genome, but mottling has multiple(at least 5 known mutations) so take your pick which one is causing your birds to have a Pied look a like.

Testing Pied or leucism in birds would require a Fibromelanotic background, any Fibromelanotic bird that has white patches on it's skin and if one of those patches is located on the face area and their eyes are red/blue then you have found the so elusive Pied or leucism in chickens

I am not a believer: Pied as such does not exist in the Chicken genome, but mottling has multiple(at least 5 known mutations) so take your pick which one is causing your birds to have a Pied look a like.

Testing Pied or leucism in birds would require a Fibromelanotic background, any Fibromelanotic bird that has white patches on it's skin and if one of those patches is located on the face area and their eyes are red/blue then you have found the so elusive Pied or leucism in chickens
I tested this once with my Sex Linked albino.
The pullets were white, & pink skinned with black spots on feathers. The cockerel produced was Wheaten, with pink skin.
The hen used was a silkie.

Pullets.
20200519_092537.jpg
20200617_205142.jpg
Cockerel.
20200617_205436.jpg
I didn't think to take updated pictures of them, I only kept them for about 3 weeks before I sold them.

Albino compared to normal silkie skin.
20200519_081330.jpg

Last edited:

The others in the Brooder.
20200807_190735.jpg
20200807_190814.jpg

I feel like if it existed we would have found it ;__; makes me sad but at least there's Piebald and Piebald-type markings in pigeons I have fun with!! :D
Sometimes it takes more work to actually discover something hiding in plain sight.

At least you have fun with it, with pigeons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom