Pied Genetics....why did I get an all white one?

Quote:
I thought that was ironic too, perfect example of the percentages... how often does THAT happen, lol.

According to Murphy's Law, only when it's not important to you.

hehe

tongue.png

EXACTLY! lol

Quote:
This makes sense to me.

A lot of White keets have a dark dot on the back of their head (all of mine that I've hatched this year so far do, and I have both Pearls and Pied Pearls in the breeding mix)... Somewhere I read that White keets that hatch with the dot on their head has been thought to be evidence that White keets are essentially a pied pied bird... (double pied, or pied over pied). Now whether this is actual fact, or just someone's educated (or uneducated guess) I'm not sure of, lol
hu.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Right...my percentages are for probability, NOT for total outcome. So with Pearl Pied X Pearl Pied, let's say you have only one chick hatch. It has a 25% chance of being Pearl, 50% chance of being Pearl Pied, and 25% chance of being white. It's like the odds of having a boy or a girl (as in human children). The odds are about 50% either way, but that doesn't mean that a family with eight children will have 4 boys and 4 girls. The probability percentages are helpful when you are making a cross to get an idea of how many offspring you'd have to raise to get a good chance of getting a particular combination (if you were doing a complex multi-trait cross and your desired combination has only a 5% probability, you know ahead that you will probably see a lot of what you don't want before you see what you do want).

:)

~Chris

Fascinating! Thanks for the info. I recently rescued a white male. Bought him two women. A pearl and a lavender. I was hoping I'd get pied if the pearl and white produce keets. The girls are supposed to be three years old and haven't laid. So that question is answered and I'm happy! My other question is how is a lavender produced? What will I get if the lavender and Snowy produce keets? I've had them a few months now and they look healthier and are now allowed to free range during the day. They are a happy little family. Thanks.

Fascinating! Thanks for the info. I recently rescued a white male. Bought him two women. A pearl and a lavender. I was hoping I'd get pied if the pearl and white produce keets. The girls are supposed to be three years old and haven't laid. So that question is answered and I'm happy! My other question is how is a lavender produced? What will I get if the lavender and Snowy produce keets? I've had them a few months now and they look healthier and are now allowed to free range during the day. They are a happy little family. Thanks.
This thread is from 2011. Only the OP was still on BYC this year and has not been seen since January. None of the other posters have been on BYC since 2016.

I recommend that you start your own thread for your question.

Back
Top Bottom