Pied Pattern

ColbyNTX.....You sure didn't hijack anything.....Gracious I am grateful for the information from everyone. I am trying to learn and really appreciate the information that is shared....You trying to figure out your chicks just helps me !!

Next question: If a Silver Pied India Blue male is bred to India Blue females and an India Blue White Eye female but none of the chicks exhibit the "Pied" coloration isn't it probable that the resulting India Blue chicks would be split to Silver Pied ? What are the possibilities in this group ?

I am picking up some peachicks tomorrow and am trying to make some kind of "partially informed" decision about selecting them.....(1)This pen is headed by a Purple Silver Pied male with Purple Pied hen, Purple Silver Pied hen, and Purple White Eye hen. There are evident purple silver pied, purple pied, and purple chicks in this group. (2)The other pen is headed by a Blue India Silver Pied male with India Blue hens and an India Blue White Eye hen...the chicks are IB but no pied....hence my question about the "split to Silver Pied" out of this Blue pen...

Your opinions are appreciated. Thanks so much.

Peggy

Hi everyone,
I find the genetics so interesting --- and VERY confusing!!!! My question...... how do you end up with Silver? And is there only a Silver Pied? I ask this because I have a Purple Pied peachick with very little (like 5%) coloring and someone on the board said ---- Silver Pied........ what makes it a silver?

Thanks to everyone who is so patient and willing to share information!
Trudi

Trudi
Silver pieds have very little color they are 80% to 95% white with a little color. Silver pieds are produce when you have 3 genes working together you have pied, white-eye and white. If you chick is only 5% color on it it is a purple silver pied.

Quote:
Doug, if that's the case, how come I never got silver pied out of 2 unrelated silver pied males bred with white-eyed hens split white and whites out of white-eyes over 3 seasons? Chicks came out "IB"(white eyed), pure white, all pieds had low % white on them.

Quote:
Doug, if that's the case, how come I never got silver pied out of 2 unrelated silver pied males bred with white-eyed hens split white and whites out of white-eyes over 3 seasons? Chicks came out "IB"(white eyed), pure white, all pieds had low % white on them.

Kev
The chicks that you produce were not pieds they were white-eyes some white-eyes will have a little white on them. The only way to get silver pied out of that breeding is the white-eye hen would have to be a pied white-eye. Your blue white-eye hen is only split white she need to be split pied in order to produce silver pied both parent has to carry the pied and white-eye gene

Quote:
The chicks would be half split pied and half split white. Keep in mind that the pieds with patches of white are 'literally' genetically half pied half white. So the silver pied is technically split for both silver pied and white. That's why pieds(with big patches of white) cannot breed true. Usually split white have white on flights, split pieds have no white. Many if not all chicks from above would be white-eyed. They still can be used for producing silver pied chicks in the future especially if bred with silver pieds- if you're getting a bunch, choose both chicks with white on wings and those without any white from this pen.

I am picking up some peachicks tomorrow and am trying to make some kind of "partially informed" decision about selecting them.....(1)This pen is headed by a Purple Silver Pied male with Purple Pied hen, Purple Silver Pied hen, and Purple White Eye hen. There are evident purple silver pied, purple pied, and purple chicks in this group.
Peggy

This is an excellent one for getting pieds. All of these chicks will be purples too. What Doug said re: silver pied chicks. These are the ones almost all white save for a few little patches of color. If you want a pied with more white, choose the chicks with least amount of white, or vice versa.. do not let anybody tell you the chicks will 'get more white' or 'get more color' as they grow. The color/white patches are set for life, however the appearance will seem to change some due to feathers growing out and covering more area, especially areas where long feathers are. The areas on the male's tail are dramatic examples. That reminds me- if you want a male with white in tail, need to pick out chicks with an clear white patch on lower back close to the real tail.

Also, this pen should produce some solid white chicks, those are also very useful for breeding silver pieds. For example if this white is bred with a silver pied, you will get half silver pieds and half whites. Also even though you won't be able to visually tell in any way, those are also genetically purple and can be used for breeding with purples too.​

Quote:

Not Doug , but in your case Kev the white and split white need to be from whites out of silver pied.

I have a peacock that is Blackshoulder pied white eye, he has all three genes. Now all silver pied carry all three of the genes, but not all birds carring all three genes are silver pied

Quote:
So if I have a male with a few white flights he is split white?

A bird split white alway show white flight they could also be split pied you will know if breed to white they should produce pied chick if not it is only split white, a bird split pied only will show no white.

Quote:
So if I have a male with a few white flights he is split white?

Yes or a dark pied. Hard telling by looking at a dark pied or bird split white what they are, they look alike.

Back
Top Bottom