Pig Help!

Ok so question... pig started breathing really heavy and fast today, but other than that nothing. I've made sure She didn't get too hot and She drank a TON of Water! She has not had any discharge but spent 6 hours panting and pacing. I called the vet and they said not to worry yet, but not a single contraction! So, is this normal? I'm so confused! Btw, Pig has stopped breathing hard, but still VERY preggo! I can see her piggies kick!

Pig contractions aren't real noticeable from the outside. Just let her do her thing. She will know what to do when the time comes. Since she isn't comfortable with you, you are going to need to be really careful around her. A momma pig protecting her babies is not something to take lightly.

While I am thinking about it, I want to give you some important information. It is imperative that you remove the male piglets by the time the are 8 weeks old. I learned this the hard way. Male piglets can and will impregnate their mother and can do so by 8 weeks old! After my girl had her first litter, I decided I did not want more piglets and had my boar neutered along with the one male piglet I was keeping. I did not have her spayed as the vet said it was dangerous at her weight. Imagine my surprise 3 months later when she had more piglets! Ok, I thought, so my boar had one last hurrah before he was neutered. So we had another mess of piglets. I had homes for all but 2 males and did not get them out of here until they were 12 weeks old. Thought I was done with piglets. Three months later, on the coldest day of the winter, my husband comes in yelling "Betty is having piglets!" I was absolutely flabbergasted. How is she having piglets when all my males are neutered? I was about ready to kill me a vet, thinking he had botched one of the neuters, when someone on one of my pig groups told me how young they can breed. I had no idea that was possible! That litter did not have a happy ending. That was my poor girls third litter in less than a year and she was worn out. She had 15 piglets that night, 5 stillborn and deformed and 10 weak and sickly. She nearly died having them and did not get up for three days. I had to feed her with a turkey baster. She wanted absolutely nothing to do with the piglets. 6 died the first night and the next day the last 4 went to a farmer friend to hand raise as I had my hands full trying to save my girl. Only 2 ended up surviving in the end. It was awful!

Sorry this turned into such a book, but I always want to pass that info on so no one ends up in the mess I did. Thankfully, it has been almost a year now with no more piglets and my girl, Betty Boop, is now healthy and happy again!

Ok so question... pig started breathing really heavy and fast today, but other than that nothing. I've made sure She didn't get too hot and She drank a TON of Water! She has not had any discharge but spent 6 hours panting and pacing. I called the vet and they said not to worry yet, but not a single contraction! So, is this normal? I'm so confused! Btw, Pig has stopped breathing hard, but still VERY preggo! I can see her piggies kick!
Don't confuse heat exhaustion with labor. Very easy to do. Photograph where the babies come out and you will see differences. It can be like waiting for water to boil. It will look like a big red onion just before the push.
Electrolytes is in our program at this stage... And just like an egg incubator, monitor progress.
Easy Bee's-ly... she's doing all the work..
Just enjoy the process.. Life is wonderful. Never take it for granted.
:celebrate

Back
Top Bottom