Pig owners.. What do you use for bedding??

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
Just wondering what others use in their pig houses...
Also..is hay safe to use? I would think that they would eat it.... but that should still be okay??
What about straw? Pine shavings?

Quote:
Thanks!
smile.png

We're changing their pig house all around on them to stop them from going to the bathroom inside of it...so we wanted to switch their bedding too.

Straw is my first choice. It stays dry longer and keeps them warm in the winter. It also seems to be easier to clean up.
Hay is fine too, but will hold moisture and can get gunky.

Quote:
Thanks! Another question.. (i'm being a pest today..)
WHat is your pig house floor made of?
We had concrete pavers down with a wood floor built over it... (we did have vinly flooring over the wood too..but the pigs decided to eat that...
roll.png
..)
but today hubby took out the wood floor and their was mold under there
barnie.gif
...(must be from them missing the litter box.. and it soaking in..)
So.. right now we just have down the pavers and we went and bought stall matts to lay down... should that be okay for them?
How much ya wanna bet they chew up the stall matts too??
hmm.png

Last edited:
I LOVE stall mats! Eventually I will have them in every pen in the barn. If you fit them in really tight they might not be able to get the corners to chew on them. Mine have never bothered the mats.
You know.....lol....if you go yard saleing or to GoodWill you could pick up kids sleeping bags and blankets for them. They love making their beds with them. They will shred them in about a week. If you do that, don't put any straw or bedding down. Just the stall mats and blankets. That way you can just sweep their house out when they shred them.
roll.png
Egads...I spend way too much time playing with my piggies....
lol.png

Quote:
LOL..ooh yeah..we use blankets too! They have to have their blankies
roll.png
... I even bought one that had little animals faces on it..and if you squeeze the face it makes the animals noise... MOO...BAHHH...WOOF...MEOW...OINK OINK....
gig.gif

I just threw a few out today cause they were getting bad.. and put some more in for them...
Is anyone else as sick as us?? Giving our pigs blankets...
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom