Pigeon coop flooring and cleaning options ?

bridgetchicken

Songster
Sep 19, 2022
I was inspired by an article I read about people saving animals, even birds like pigeons. I have an empty previously used coop that is 6x6x6ft. What should I use for flooring that is easy to clean and won’t make a mess like pine shavings if I plan to foster pigeons in it?

Would a floor scraper like this work for removing poop off the bricks?

7B5A46DB-FF4C-420D-8C2E-F411BA388092.jpeg

Yes a metal scraper like that will work but you’ll wear the blade down on the bricks, and also it’ll catch on any edges in the bricks when you scrape. If you can keep the floor dry I recommend throwing down some plywood for the easiest scraping.

I’ve heard of people using pavers and and hosing them off to clean. I just have a dirt floor, but mice can get in and eat leftover seeds so I’m not sure I would recommend that. Some people also use wood shavings.

You know those long shallow storage bin/tubs that slide under beds? I use those in my greenhouse for bottom watering and I used to use them in my coop until I installed poop boards/trays with sand. It worked so great for not having to scrape at all. I just dumped the tubs in my garden or compost and washed them out with a hose. Can keep your nice brick floor clean....

You know those long shallow storage bin/tubs that slide under beds? I use those in my greenhouse for bottom watering and I used to use them in my coop until I installed poop boards/trays with sand. It worked so great for not having to scrape at all. I just dumped the tubs in my garden or compost and washed them out with a hose. Can keep your nice brick floor clean....

So the tub is set right-side up, and they birds just kind of land in it as needed, do their business whenever they want, and then you take the tubs out and wash away the poop? Or the tub also has some kind of material, like pine shavings?

So the tub is set right-side up, and they birds just kind of land in it as needed, do their business whenever they want, and then you take the tubs out and wash away the poop? Or the tub also has some kind of material, like pine shavings?
I made an assumption that you have roost bars and you can place the bins directly under the roost bars with or without material like shaving added. I did add shavings as it helps absorb moisture in between cleaning and it's good for my compost. I apologize if you don't have roost bars for them even though it can still work.......

Back
Top Bottom