Pigeon eggs

do I need to rotate them?
Yes, the parents turn them a lot but I'd do at least five times a day or so. Draw an X very lightly on one side and an o very lightly on the opposite side with a pencil. Then you go back and forth between the sides. So as an example, the egg is on X at nine a.m.
At 12 you turn it left to o and then leave it. At 2 you turn it right to X, etc. So you're alternating directions and sides.

Yes, the parents turn them a lot but I'd do at least five times a day or so. Draw an X very lightly on one side and an o very lightly on the opposite side with a pencil. Then you go back and forth between the sides. So as an example, the egg is on X at nine a.m.
At 12 you turn it left to o and then leave it. At 2 you turn it right to X, etc. So you're alternating directions and sides.
Thank you so very much!!
#1 seems good so far.

PAX
I'm rotating them five times a day, by the end of all five rotations they will have gone a full circle. 🌎 😂 I marked them with a pencil as per @MGG 's recommendation. 🙂

I actually think only egg #1 will make it, the other one seems to be unfertilized or dead. 😔 I'm excited for #1 though! I hope it thrives! ❤️ Does anyone have advice on what to do when/if egg #1 hatches? 🐣

Good luck with your egg. If you can, you may want to contact an animal rescue shelter and ask them about how to take care of newhatched pigeons&doves. I know they must be fed every hour or so, their crop should never become empty and they must be snuggled and warm most of the time til their eyes open. Also, they need to be fed high protein vegan milk drink as first feedings until you can start adding meal after they open their eyes. They need alot of talking to, also. Good luck.

Good luck with your egg. If you can, you may want to contact an animal rescue shelter and ask them about how to take care of newhatched pigeons&doves. I know they must be fed every hour or so, their crop should never become empty and they must be snuggled and warm most of the time til their eyes open. Also, they need to be fed high protein vegan milk drink as first feedings until you can start adding meal after they open their eyes. They need alot of talking to, also. Good luck.
thanks.
yes we talk to our pets all the time! and we snuggle with our dove.
we will make sure that this one stays warm, cozy and well fed when it hatches.

PAX
My egg seems to be growing, I think it's still alive. :)I've had it under the Brinsea chick brooder in a basket with nesting. It's nice and warm like the hens' eggs. 🪺The local wildlife rehabber here said it's a dove egg, not a pigeon. 🕊️The egg is halfway dark, with veins. When do I stop rotating and candling this egg? When does it go into "lockdown"?

I took these pictures today: Phone didn't want to focus, so it's a little hard to see details like veins. In this picture you can see how big the dove is, he's definitely grown since Saturday!
PXL_20240216_221245492.jpg

Not sure why there is this blank space--is it the air bubble or did the dove die?? 🤔
20240216_151419.jpg

Here you can see veins and the dove:
20240216_151411.jpg

A little unfocused, you can see the fluid and part of the dove:
20240216_151400.jpg

This picture is from last Saturday when I got it.
It has grown since:
1708122145214.png

Please let me know what you think! I've never rescued a dove egg before.

Back
Top Bottom