Pigeon eye question

Qualien

Songster
May 9, 2018
New to reading pigeons eyes, and I'm curious about the dark shading that extends from the pupil out to the health circle on one of my cocks. What is this? What causes it? What does it signify (i.e. distance, speed, breeding)? And is this a good breeder sign or a poor one?
He seems to have it more promenantly on his left eye (white tear streak) than the right (speckles)

Attachments

• IMG_20210703_201719350~3.jpg
    IMG_20210703_201719350~3.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210703_201712526~3.jpg
    IMG_20210703_201712526~3.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 7
It's hard to really make out in the picture, but if it's the dark area I see in the first picture then I believe that its just a dark area because your bird is a pied/splash. Whites have dark (bull) eyes, and sometimes in splashes this turns into a partial dark/bull eye, or sometimes one normal eye and one dark eye. Pretty sure that's what you have going on here.

This particular bird has a little white speckles around his eyes, and 3 white flights on each wing. Not sure what color that would be called. Other than that he looks like a regular blue bar. I posted another post in the pigeons forum about what color one of his offspring would be considered (with a picture)

This particular bird has a little white speckles around his eyes, and 3 white flights on each wing. Not sure what color that would be called. Other than that he looks like a regular blue bar. I posted another post in the pigeons forum about what color one of his offspring would be considered (with a picture)
Yes, that's why I referred to it as a pied/splash. It's nothing rare or uncommon... just mixed with some white somewhere in the background.

Back
Top Bottom