1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pigeon help

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Smalltowngirl38, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Smalltowngirl38

Smalltowngirl38 New Egg

Mar 4, 2017
    I'm curious is it normal for a pigeon to set on her eggs as well as a chicken egg? I've had a girl doing just that. Unfortunately we have a egg eater on our hands and the chicken ate her eggs, but left the chicken egg. She's still setting on it. Should I remove it?

2. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    Pigeons can hatch chicken egg but then may not lay again till two weeks after chick hatches. Never hatch a chick alone, or make sure can get other/s same age and similar breed. Pigens best kept out of reach of chickens, as eventually a chicken will attack adult pigeons their squeakers or eggs.
    Seperate egg eating hen n check when laying and replace hers with dummy egg each time lays until goes broody or stops pecking them, of you don't more will do too. Good luck and let us know how goes.

2 people like this.
  3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Quote:
    Most important if you want squabs to develop into pigeons I would isolate your breeding pairs. Chickens and pigeons DO NOT MIX.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I agree. Young baby squabs + adult chickens = no baby squabs.

1 person likes this.
  5. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I sometimes let my pigeons hatch out chicken chicks to raise. They do a good job.. and I have had pigeon pairs act like chickens and walk around the coop floor with the chick and brood it when it get too cool or tired.

This surprised me because I thought the pigeons would get confused and stay on the nest. But mine follow the chicks about outside too like a mother hen.

Usually thought, I will collect all the hatched chicks after a couple of days and put them in a brooder for me to raise.

Please, as other posters have advised you, do not keep adult chickens with breeding pigeons. Chickens will eventually discover that pigeon squabs and eggs taste delicious.

1 person likes this.
  6. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    I agree... Chickens in my experience do NOT do well with adult or baby pigeons.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by