Pigeon help

Bryan C

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 28, 2012
Hi BYC members. I'm a teenager with a knack for animals. I wanted to know how big should a loft be for one pair of pigeons im thinking maybe some tumblers or rollers not entirely sure yet. I don't have a great budget and I just want to raise the pigeons for fun and to observe them because im trying to become a veterinarian. I just don't know how big i should start one pair or two pairs. Any advice would be gladly appreciated. Thank you for your time

This about the minimum space you would need for one pair of breeding and roositing pigeons. Underneath that is a link to building a loft to enclsose this if needed.

Hope this helps.
Hokum Coco

You mentioned you don't have much $ to work with, as is the case with me. So I'll tell you what I use......Anything!!
Protect them from rain, preferably somewhat from wind and protection from predators and you're good to go.

You should count on a min. of 2 sq. feet of space per bird. even all wire cages work, I myself have used them and I have friends who are good breeders and use them. I'm not sure where you live, if it gets very cold then you should count on at least having three sides. Cages can be wrapped in plastic even.

The cages are very cheap to construct and you can make a wooden frame for just as cheap to set them on up off the ground and at a comfortable height. the cages will look something like this.....these are best for individual breeding but work for more than one pair if large enough. http://www.tractorsupply.com/small-...house-trade-rabbit-cage-30-in-x36-in--2179677

You but the hardware cloth, guards to cover the sharp, exposed cut areas of the wire around the door, J-clips and J-clip pliers, some pliers to cut the hardware cloth with and are good to go. Tack the cages to the stand and cover the top with scrap tin or tarps.

I just put a scrap piece of 2x4 on the floor for a roost, a nest bowl, feed/water dishes.

This is just one of the cheapest and easiest ways to keep them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom