Pigeon toed 5 week old duck significantly smaller than the rest. Help.

Bmart

Hatching
Sep 20, 2021
1FE19B0A-525C-44CB-B5D4-D0D1BEFF38FB.jpeg
This is Daisy. As a new duckling she walked really well, when it was time to integrate her along with the other 5 Pekins I had bought her with. She started to be found on her back and unable to sit at the feeds. After I noticed how much she was struggling I had brought her in the house in a tub where she gets to rest her legs, and we rehab by taking longer swims to get her legs strong. She was fed flock feed, purina her whole life. I added Niacin when I noticed her legs were turning in. Currently I am giving her liquid b complex, I mix grit and wheat germ, and she’s getting nutri drench. I’ve considered it could be viral or bacterial infection. She regularly poops, loves food and water. I’ve tried everything and she’s a little better but I don’t want to be missing anything. Please help.

Attachments

• 8408AE3E-3C2C-42DE-8BA3-FA329E7C1829.jpeg
    8408AE3E-3C2C-42DE-8BA3-FA329E7C1829.jpeg
    784.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 8F23E6D4-0759-4021-9F11-7E89C34CCF69.jpeg
    8F23E6D4-0759-4021-9F11-7E89C34CCF69.jpeg
    309 KB · Views: 6
Yes that is the one I give her. I mix that in her water with a little more than 1 so she gets the right dose in a cup and wet her food regularly so it’s easier for her. She eats a significant amount as long as she’s balanced. In the tub I have her so she has balance for the most part. I’ll have to take a picture of her droppings, they have changed depending on her food.

With the vitamin b complex, you are trying increase vitamin b levels above normal to help solve a previous deficiency. Instead of adding it to food, I would put it on a treat she will eat the whole 1 ml up with or feed her it orally with a syringe. I prefer to administer drugs orally when I can, so I know they get the full dosage. But not everyone is comfortable with that.

Here is how to give a drug orally:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

I would also focus on mainly giving her just poultry feed. If you plan to use the vitamin b complex on treats, that would be the only time I would give them to her right now. She needs a consistently balanced diet to help her recover.

The other potential worry if she can't easily all the time. Too little nutrients from feed can cause weakness in legs and neck. You can usually see signs in their droppings with pale green poop.

Back
Top Bottom