Pigeon trapping, what am I doing wrong?

ilikepigeons

Songster
Nov 11, 2021
New Zealand
I have a trap, with a flock that I am trying to catch. The trap is a wire cage with two metal ends, you put the ends up and there's a trip plate you place bait on, they step on the trip plate and it lets down the doors. Similar to the average live catch traps for possums and feral cats, just more sensitive and with doors at both ends, so when set they can see straight through. I've only caught one bird so far, and one other by picking him up off his nest. I have at least 4 still I need to trap, 2 of them are still very suspicious of the trap. I've given them access to regular food just outside the trap, and 'extra yummy' food inside the trap (safflower, peanuts). I'm thinking this is probably where I've gone wrong, with offering them food outside the trap, so they can eat normally without going inside the trap and getting caught?
If I were to take all food away and only offer food in the trap, would they actually go inside the trap for the food, or just sit there and starve/try forage for their own? These are pet birds, so they really need to be caught rather than driven away by lack of food if at all possible. Is it likely that they will go and try find their own food, or is there a better possibility that they will just enter the trap and be caught?
Also, I have placed a trail inside the trap, but there the doors shut I have not put any food just there, because of my fear of the door shutting when two pigeons are there at the same time (one on the trip plate, the other's neck where the door is) and the door snapping their neck. It doesn't have any power shut or spring, but it is a heavy piece of metal falling down rather quickly, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were enough to break a pigeon neck. I was hoping that by putting food out of reach that there is less probability of a bird's neck being there when the door shuts. I wonder if this is also another place I've went wrong, will it help that much if I do risk it and place a 'proper' food trail?

I wouldn't worry about the door slamming shut on a bird. Most likely, the door will throw the bird into the center as it slams shut.

Set out a very sparce feed trail. I glue a small cup (bottle cap) on the platform to put more feed in so it doesn't roll off.

Back
Top Bottom