Pigeon with diarrhea

Henefer feathers

In the Brooder
Oct 19, 2020
Hello đź‘‹
I bought two female Pigeons as house pets from a Pigeon show they are small rollers
My older one is a year and she has diarrhea and is nesting a lot since I got her she has laid about 10 or 9 eggs sense November and it's now January
She has watery diarrhea and the other one so far does not she is about 3 months
The one-year-old is eating and drinking fine no issues she has no visible abnormalities , but diarrhea... I just want to know is it because she is nesting and laying eggs ? I was told to put more barley in their feed to stop egg production so I did but she just laid another egg so I'm thinking about letting her go through the cycle and hopefully that will stop her diarrhea.. please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! It's gross it's all over the walls.....
🥺

I think they are unrelated. Normally, if their diet is proper, a problem with feces like diarrhea is related to the microbiome of the gut. What makes up their entire diet? Grains should be primary with hard red winter or spring wheat making up the bulk of it. You can add a little milo or peas from time to time but very little. Also a little flax, millet or canary seed.
A bird probiotic like either one from a pet store like bene-bac powder or online Gro2Max powder for chickens. Follow the instructions.

What did you do to try to stop ovulation? Just adding more barley? With most species, changes in the daily night dark cycle is what signals the gonads that it is time to reproduce or cease production. If you want to end the egg laying cycle, you can try cutting their day length a little at a time. That should be easy indoors.

Do you plan on flying them?

Last edited:
If a pigeon is on the nest all night it is normal for them to have nasty droppings in the am but depends how watery you are talking. I have also never had indoor pigeons. And you should replace the 2 eggs you take with 2 fakes so she doesn’t keep laying more right away because it takes a lot out of them to keep producing eggs.

Back
Top Bottom