Pigeons as Pests

pscbadvr

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2021
Merritt Island, FL
Hi All, I have had chickens for a few years but still consider myself a newbie since nothing ever seems to happen to my small flock. I found pigeons in m coop several weeks ago and then the girls had Coccidia, which was passed on to my dogs who love to eat the chicken poop. I only found out because I took my dogs in for a checkup and their fecal tests showed Coccidia. So I bought Corid and treated everyone at the same time and soon they will get the 2nd 3 day treatment.

There are pigeons around my coop and chickens all the time. How do I keep them away so this doesn't happen again? I do understand its nature and a long shot but would like to try something..anything...

Coccidia is naturally occurring in the soil, all chickens (and dogs that eat chicken poop) will test positive for it. I wouldn't necessarily blame the pigeons but they can increase chances of other issues.
Have you tried the usual methods? Fake owls? Shinny spinners?
Keeping the chickens in their own area and keeping the dogs out will keep the dog from eating chicken poop.

Coccidia is naturally occurring in the soil, all chickens (and dogs that eat chicken poop) will test positive for it. I wouldn't necessarily blame the pigeons but they can increase chances of other issues.
Have you tried the usual methods? Fake owls? Shinny spinners?
Keeping the chickens in their own area and keeping the dogs out will keep the dog from eating chicken poop.
I can try the fake owl but what is a shinny spinner?

Back
Top Bottom