Pigeons housed with chickens?

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
Hi, i was wondering if pigeons can be housed with chickens. Size difference isn’t an issue here as i have a lot of super small bantams that they would be housed with. Is it safe to have them together?

If your pigeons never fly anywhere, maybe it could be safe to house them together with you chickens. But pigeons can carry a serious disease called canker, and sharing the premises and water with chickens can transmit this disease to your chickens if they manage to pick it up while traveling. At its most serious, it can kill a chicken.

Likewise with turkeys and chickens housed together. Turkeys can carry blackhead disease and transmit it to chickens and kill them.

It's all around safer to keep species separated.

I used to keep Birmingham Rollers and Salmon Faverolle bantams together. I never had any issues with that mixture. If your pigeon nesting boxes or perches are lower to the ground, I'd worry if they'd drive one another out or reactions towards squabs depending on how aggressive they might be.

Biggest worry I had was of feed access and control, I ultimately ended up suspending my pigeon's feeders.

I did lose one pigeon to a Jersey Giant hen who very much disliked others that weren't like her when he slipped through.

If your pigeons never fly anywhere, maybe it could be safe to house them together with you chickens. But pigeons can carry a serious disease called canker, and sharing the premises and water with chickens can transmit this disease to your chickens if they manage to pick it up while traveling. At its most serious, it can kill a chicken.

Likewise with turkeys and chickens housed together. Turkeys can carry blackhead disease and transmit it to chickens and kill them.

It's all around safer to keep species separated.
Thank you for your reply. I think i’ll be getting fancy pigeons and not the ones that would be entering in races and such. I definitely don’t want my chickens passing, though, so i’ll see about keeping a separate area for them.

Back
Top Bottom