1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pigeons raised with chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gazinga, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

I have chooks, my wife has pigeons. I am building a new coop, can i build an area for teh pigeons within the chook coop? Health issues? they would be sepereated but expose to the same area a and sharing shelter, (air , etc.....) Seperated by screens.

Can this be done healthy?

ideas?

2. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

bump

3. 65bellett

65bellett New Egg

Mar 25, 2009
    A few years ago when I was still living at home in the country I kept about a dozen homing pigeons in my mums chicken house. I never encountered any problems except that the racers bred at such a rate that it soon became a pigeon loft with a few chickens:D

4. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

thanx bellett, and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

5. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

sigh....bump agian

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    they share some of the same problems.. lice, mites, cocci, canker, etc...

We use the floor space of each loft for 1 chicken with newly hatch chicks.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  7. lindamass15

lindamass15 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2007
    mine are not within eachother but the chiken run are just seperated by chicken wire and on the otherside is the pigeon loft, hadn't have a problem, what I do to the chicken I do to the pigeon like deworming.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I know a fellow who raised both. He suggested against mixing habitat... pigeons can pick up some diseases (or carry them) that you don't want your chickens to get.

That said, when I feed my chickens scratch, I have to stay outside until I can see they've cleaned it up, otherwise pigeons and doves show up and then I have the same problem.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by