pigs eat day ild rooster?

outlawfarmer

Songster
12 Years
Mar 27, 2010
New Hampshire
New to pigs. Killed rooster today. Though 9wk pigs may like it. Cut head off and pulled a breast out. Then threw it to them. They are now laying on it. WILL They get sick if they don't eat it right away. It's 60+80 degrees here. 0

Not sure ...but if you start to do that, you will train the pigs to kill your chickens.... IMO

I don't want to be one to sound mean, but what you did is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS! Pigs should never, under any circumstances have meat of any type. The blood will make them become aggressive and feral. I used to work on a pig farm and we had to shoot a sow that had eaten her piglets, because she attacked and broke one of the workers arms. She could have easily killed him and would not have hesitated. If you can salvage your pigs, NEVER feed them meat again.
I only type this to keep people from getting hurt, not to be mean or rude.

Pigs are omnivorous & feeding them meat has no side effects. Pigs in farms attack people frequently, I doubt it was because she had the taste of blood from eating her own piglets. If they haven't eaten the rooster by now, they wont. I would recommend putting it in a feed trough & maybe cutting it up a bit.

Thnx 4 all input. It seems they, like me, prefer chicken cooked. They used it as a toy and they hid it under some branches and went in their house for the night. I bagged it so they didn't get tainted meat in morning. Thnks again.

Quote:
x2

I will not give any animal I intend to use for meat for my family/meat just seems wrong and gross to me.

Pigs should not have chocolate either, just like dogs should not.

Pigs in the wild root up bugs and small rodents as a normal, important part of their diet, so anyone whose ever eaten wild pig has eaten pig fed with meat. That said, I do cook any meat I give my pigs since it's not "fresh" (i.e. live) like they would eat in the wild and I don't want them getting tainted meat. As the op says, mine seem to prefer theirs cooked anyway (usually with a side of beans and slaw).

Quote:
But pigs are not the same as cattle...they are designed to eat some meat and they must have it in order to be healthy. All commercial pig food has animal protein in it. I believe most chicken food does as well.

We used to feed our hogs innards and what nots from our butcherings from rabbits and chickens and no ill effects from them.

I disagree with Alicia.....hogs are omni. Their feed consisted of animal byproducts and grains. Getting hurt from hogs are not too commonplace or happens so often but it does. It takes knowledge and brains and wit to control those hogs. I've had a few mean ones and a kick on the snout (when they get to nibble or wants to bite your ankles because you ar enot dumping the feed fast enough) would suffice or a stout stick to keep them in line and it also maintain your balance between jousting bodies in a small pen.

Boars, breeding stock, mother with piglets in a small lot, that is a whole another agenda. I would not dare go in there but no problems with meat pigs from piglets to finish to butcher time.

So feed them meat. They will love it any way you prepare it.

Back
Top Bottom