Piles of feathers- is it a fox?

I have never seen a fox pluck a chicken and leave a pile of feathers. They just carry it of to thier den to feed their young.

Piles of feathers (plucking) usually indicate a hawk. hey are also feeding babies this time of year.

I caught a fox with my Roo at about 11am and where he attacked him he left a pile of feathers. When I came out he had dragged him to the bushes and he was dead, but he was probably just stopping there on his way to his den.

I had a fox raid my hens one night. It was during a heavy wind and rain storm, so I couldn't hear the birds freaking out. I found the headless bodies inside the pen in the morning, with tons of feathers outside the chain link pen. Somehow the girls had been persueded to stick their heads outside the fence and immediately lost them.

I lined the outside of the pen with chickens wire to a height of 4 feet, then lined the inside with 18" plywood at night. I added a spot light inside the pen and left it on the next night. When I got up to use the bathroom about 0400, I saw the fox trying to get into the pen. I screamed at her, she took off but came right back. I threw my boots and a sweatshirt on and took off after it, racing thru the woods screaming and brandishing a large stick.

She hasn't been back since.

The odd thing is, the chicken pen is right smack dab in the middle of the dogs toilet area. I take th dogs out and let them go all around it, several feet around it in fact. This fox isn't worried about the dogs, but from the looks of it, she is feeding a litter somewhere close by.

Uugggg! This happened to me today. I pulled in the driveway at about 5:30-6 and there was a fox in the yard with one of my chickens. It just stood there until I got out and chased it. As I was looking for live ones it came back around the other side and went after more of them. I found 4 dead in the yard and several PILES of feathers. After looking until about 8:30 I still have three missing. I just want to cry! My son was here the whole time and says he didn't hear anything.

I've never had a problem with foxes before but this morning one was grabbed right off my front porch just as I was headed in to get another coffee. The fox only got the hen's tail and one of my drakes was intervening, which really surprised me! The drake was flying in the foxes face and the fox let go of the hen. All are locked up now.

Beautiful fox but I'd really rather they didn't get chicken dinner.

I lost over 30 chickens this week to a fox. One night I did not lock the coop well enough and he killed almost everything. Half were left dead in the yard. Some were partially buried all around like in the garden and in the neighbor's yard. I live in a heavily populated suburban area. There are no woods, farms, or fields for miles around. He came back a few days later right after sunset and did more damage before I could lock the coop.

I just lost my roo today.
sad.png
I let mine out to range about 8:00am and I thought it was weird that he didn't come out when I threw treats to the ladies by the back porch. I went out a bit ago to fine feathers scattered about. I bet it happened this morning sometime -- all while I have been home.
barnie.gif
I have had foxes up around my house in the night -- last time about one month ago. The nights have been quiet since. I was hoping it was maybe a hawk, but after reading this it sounds as though Mr. Fox has finally got one of my chickens. I guess they will be cooped up for a bit. The ladies didn't even seem startled at all today, which is kinda weird. RIP Peanut Butter.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I just have to ask. So you were only wearing a sweatshirt and boots???? No wonder the fox hasn't returned !!! LOL I just keep picturing my husband with just boots and a sweatshirt running thru the woods shaking a stick (well not the only thing shaking !!! LOL)
Sorry, I don't know if you are a man or woman but just picturing my DH I couldn't stop laughing envisioning this.

All kidding aside. I lost another chicken to a fox about two weeks ago. That would be the second one now. Poor girls are now confined to the run.
If I saw the fox I don't know if I would even have put on the sweatshirt !!! LOL

Anyway, I too would like to know how high up one would put the electric fence on the run.

Back
Top Bottom