Pilgrim geese, mate question

ScoobyRoo

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Land of OZ
I have 2 pairs of Pilgrim geese that are about 4 weeks old. They are a neat addition along with the ducks, turkeys and chickens. My question about the geese is,,, will they stay with the same mate or change? In other words will Clyde stay faithful to Bonnie or sneak of with Donald's wife Daisy??
gig.gif
Wasn't sure how else to put it.
Thanks for any answers.
smile.png

Geese usually 'pair up' from my understanding, so they should stick with their own mates. But I suppose there is always the possibility of Clyde trying to get busy with Daisy, or Donald sneaking away for a midnight rondezvous with Bonnie
lol.png
but they should stick together!

I have two pair of Brown Chinese and they stick with their own mate...bought them as pairs, well my kids did (my bd present) and as adults...no separating them...I have Fred and Wilma and Barney and Betty...Fred is the eldest and in charge...it was funny when we went to get them...the owner had a gazilion geese of all types...we picked out, caught and loaded Wilma...Fred pitched a fit...he left the flock who were milling around wondering if they were next on the catch list and was honking his head off at the fence by the truck because we had his girl...he was one mad dude of a gander...we had Wilma in a 500 veri kennel on the tail gate and he could sort of see her...he was pacing and honking the fence by the truck...when we caught him he was only too happy to be placed in the crate with Wilma...they seem to forge strong bonds...Wilma is laying and Fred watches her every move...she is laying in a large dog house inside the "goose house" and he kept paying her visits...he would stretch his neck down and peer into the house to see if she was okay...I absolutely adore them...the wait at the gate every morning and if I don't feed them first, I get some serious honking at me...and they get excited when they see the blue bucket I carry their feed in...they are curious, observent and smart...I have a large kiddie pool for them and the first time I filled it for them it was a little to high for them to get in...I got a cement block, 4" by 8" by 12" and placed it next to the pool...they circled twice studying the situation, stepped up on the block and into the pool...smart...but I think your guys will pair up and remain faithful...

Thanks for your replies. I'm very new to these and I just wondered??????? I will keep a closer eye on them to see if a pair stays closer together or they switch.
Shelley, it is a funny thought isn't it??
gig.gif

When Bonnie starts setting on her eggs, Clyde will probably court Daisy, if he gets anywhere, that will depend on how Daisy and Donald feel about swinging and who is who in the flock pecking order. Geese are often sold as "Trios" for just this reason.

I've had geese that forge strong bonds & geese that "cheat". Last season I had a pair of pilgrims that appeared bonded. Yet there was another goose(Pomeranian) that hung nearby and more than once I saw him breeding the goose. If the gander caught them there was quite the fight! Every time I caught that bad boy & locked him in another pen he found away to get over the fence & back to his girl. Eventually she hatched a bunch of eggs & yep both boys were the fathers. The odd trio raised the goslings together with a lot less fighting once the breeding season was over. I had to sell that goose to separate them permanently he was that determined. So I would say that, much like people, it depends on the individuals.

Back
Top Bottom