Pilgrim Geese thread

In the beginning they were both running away if i got too close. The last days they are coming closer at me especially the gander! Goose wants to be at least 2m away from me to feel confident while gander follows me almost everywhere! I think that she is easily afraid althought we never chased them or make them feel uncomfortable (at least on purpose). I cannot explain her behavior, but I am sure that she gets -irrational- frightened when I work or get close at her! :/

In the beginning they were both running away if i got too close. The last days they are coming closer at me especially the gander! Goose wants to be at least 2m away from me to feel confident while gander follows me almost everywhere! I think that she is easily afraid althought we never chased them or make them feel uncomfortable (at least on purpose). I cannot explain her behavior, but I am sure that she gets -irrational- frightened when I work or get close at her!
hmm.png
Ganders are often more confident. She´ll follow his lead.
big_smile.png

I've wondered that too RoboDuck. Probably a group of people motivated enough to find out the process and set up a breed club/association. I'm in the Iowa Blue Chicken club which is only a couple/few years old and working towards APA membership. I was surprised that Pilgrims are APA, but don't have a breed club. Yet. :) Reading up on it is on my to-do list, but that list is very very long right now!

So Pilgrims breed in early spring (Midwestern US), but will they sometimes breed in the fall?? I just caught 2 of my breeding pairs making use of my newly filled stock tanks for just that purpose. Should I be on the lookout for an odd egg here and there or will the geese only lay in the spring? They free range so no special lighting scheme. Just really surprised me!

So Pilgrims breed in early spring (Midwestern US), but will they sometimes breed in the fall?? I just caught 2 of my breeding pairs making use of my newly filled stock tanks for just that purpose. Should I be on the lookout for an odd egg here and there or will the geese only lay in the spring? They free range so no special lighting scheme. Just really surprised me!
Seems that a lot of folks in theUS are getting odd out-of-season mating behaviour with their geese that they´ve not seen before, so...see what happens.

Seems that a lot of folks in theUS are getting odd out-of-season mating behaviour with their geese that they´ve not seen before, so...see what happens.

I wonder if it has anything to do with global warming???

Back
Top Bottom