Pilgrim Geese thread

What is that you are feeding Forrest? looks like dog food. does he/she have access to grit
i replied to this without quoting it...people are going to get confused. =) i dont give her access to grit. i figured her daily falls face down in the dirt while we are in the yard was probably enough grit.... should i offer her chicken grit? i have a whole bag of it.... she is such a picky eater. she probably gets 5 new things a day and doesnt like any of them.

What is that you are feeding Forrest? looks like dog food. does he/she have access to grit

i replied to this without quoting it...people are going to get confused. =)   i dont give her access to grit. i figured her daily falls face down in the dirt while we are in the yard was probably enough grit....  should i offer her chicken grit? i have a whole bag of it....  she is such a picky eater. she probably gets 5 new things a day and doesnt like any of them.  

The best food you can offer any goose is a nice weedy yard to graze in. Has everything they need.

The best food you can offer any goose is a nice weedy yard to graze in. Has everything they need.
I tried it and will keep tryingshe's not interested at allI think the farmer messed up when he imprinted her and put her in with the chickens and fed her chicken mash for the first 4 weeks of her life

i replied to this without quoting it...people are going to get confused. =) i dont give her access to grit. i figured her daily falls face down in the dirt while we are in the yard was probably enough grit.... should i offer her chicken grit? i have a whole bag of it.... she is such a picky eater. she probably gets 5 new things a day and doesnt like any of them.
I would offer her some grit in a separate bowl she'll eat it as needed but they do need it to be able to chew their feed and greens. I swear Mazuri looks like just dog food when swelled up.

Also you say activated dried yeast I hope you aren't referring to baking yeast.

I tried it and will keep tryingshe's not interested at allI think the farmer messed up when he imprinted her and put her in with the chickens and fed her chicken mash for the first 4 weeks of her life
It´d be good to keep her on grass anyway, as at least she can pick at it if she wants. Greens are important to her, and as Miss Lydia says, it´s good to put some grit in a little bowl for her to have if she wants. Fruit is good, but greens are so important. Have you tried floating bits of greens and even cut grass in water for her to pick at? I doubt if living with chickens caused too much of a problem. Brewers´Yeast is good to use.
I´m sure she´ll do fine in that little frame out on grass, prettier than the chicken!
wink.png

Thank You guys for your help with the angel wing issue. In the little time we had him wrapped, he is already better to the point it's hard to tell which of the geese it was when they are hanging out together. He is so much better. Now, like I said, we have taken them off pellets with any protein. They are now solely on grass during the day with a small bowl of alfalfa in their cage at night. The droopy wings should start getting better, too.

They are really starting to get bold now, too. I noticed them twice today about half way across the pasture. That's the farthest they've gone to date. At least they will be fenced in by the end of the day tomorrow. They will have the run of almost 6 acres. Hopefully there are no crazy weeds that we don't know about that cause harm to geese.

I would offer her some grit in a separate bowl she'll eat it as needed but they do need it to be able to chew their feed and greens. I swear Mazuri looks like just dog food when swelled up.

Also you say activated dried yeast I hope you aren't referring to baking yeast.
No, i said the wrong thing . its nutritional yeast from the health food store. it tastes like powdered cheese. (i am very allergic to dairy and it is my "cheese")..... I read about it when i first got her. it has b vitamins, along with other stuff that is good for leg issues.

It´d be good to keep her on grass anyway, as at least she can pick at it if she wants. Greens are important to her, and as Miss Lydia says, it´s good to put some grit in a little bowl for her to have if she wants. Fruit is good, but greens are so important. Have you tried floating bits of greens and even cut grass in water for her to pick at? I doubt if living with chickens caused too much of a problem. Brewers´Yeast is good to use.
I´m sure she´ll do fine in that little frame out on grass, prettier than the chicken!
wink.png
yes we do leave her on the grass. today while we were outside she hobbled to my feet and just stood there on my feet, we even bring her in different types of grass in from outside. i want to grow her fodder grass, does anyone know if it is as nutritional for geese as it is for ducks and chickens? i bought the cabbage and it is hanging beside her. right now in her bowl she has cucumber, peas, arugula, romaine, spinach, banana, cabbage and nectarine. she doesnt eat it but its there . i will put a bowl of the chicken grit in out for her. yes, i tried putting stuff in her water but she doesnt touch her water when things are in it. brewers yeast is basically the same thing as the nutritional yeast i buy.

Thanks for all the help to everyone with the food!

yes we do leave her on the grass. today while we were outside she hobbled to my feet and just stood there on my feet, we even bring her in different types of grass in from outside. i want to grow her fodder grass, does anyone know if it is as nutritional for geese as it is for ducks and chickens? i bought the cabbage and it is hanging beside her. right now in her bowl she has cucumber, peas, arugula, romaine, spinach, banana, cabbage and nectarine. she doesnt eat it but its there . i will put a bowl of the chicken grit in out for her. yes, i tried putting stuff in her water but she doesnt touch her water when things are in it. brewers yeast is basically the same thing as the nutritional yeast i buy.

Thanks for all the help to everyone with the food!
Can´t comment on the flakes stuff, I don´t know, but the rest of it sounds like you´re doing everything possible to help her. I would imagine fodder grass is ok... fussy little thing, eh??

I grew fodder grass last winter for my geese and they looked at it like it had 3 heads. wouldn't eat it so I stopped growing it since my space is so limited anyway. I may try sprouts this winter. That yeast is fine. What does she eat?

Back
Top Bottom