Pilgrim Geese thread

And the "picking" is not an aggression thing. They see stuff like new feathers coming in and nibble at them. But they just keep on til they cause sores and bleeding. We have managed to catch these events early so they are no worse for the wear. And their ages are very close. The 6 older ones, 2 females, 4 males are only 3 or 4 weeks older than the 2 younger males. And they are old enough now you can hardly tell them apart. The 2 younger ones are just a little fuzzy around their rumps. We have put bands on their legs so we will be able to identify them when they finish feathering out and look just like the other 4.

We had a cpg goose kill a smaller cpg gander because he got food all over him and she was picking at the food on his down. (we were not home and caught the behavior too late to save the little guy). She was not mean and did very well with him despite being a good bit older and bigger. She just picked at the food non. stop until she did irreversable damage while we were at work.

You say goose and gander, but you´re talking about goslings, aren´t you?

I think some of his behavior is meanness.  He was yanking butt fluff out of the others when they were younger.  lol

So are you talking about youngsters, or adults?  If you´re talking about youngsters, then he does seem mean, yes.  :(

We got them at the end of June. The younger ones were about 2 or 3 weeks old, the others about 3 or 4 weeks older.

Great, so you can move her onto other things too,, hold the celery and another more nutritious green (like Romaine) in your hand, and maybe she´ll have a nibble at that, too.  :)

she will try anything that I am holding. most things she tries it then shakes her head around like "yuck, what was that"

she will try anything that I am holding. most things she tries it then shakes her head around like "yuck, what was that"
That´s normal. Geese are a bit slow accepting what they view as something new. The first time I gave mine watermelon they all just stood and looked at it. Then the muscovies came along and started tucking into then, then the geese decided it must be good, and finished it off! Now they come running when I have anything for them that they recognise. If it´s new, they just look at it, muscovies start at it, geese finish it off... and on it goes. Just persist with it, she´ll get there.
big_smile.png

That´s normal. Geese are a bit slow accepting what they view as something new. The first time I gave mine watermelon they all just stood and looked at it. Then the muscovies came along and started tucking into then, then the geese decided it must be good, and finished it off! Now they come running when I have anything for them that they recognise. If it´s new, they just look at it, muscovies start at it, geese finish it off... and on it goes. Just persist with it, she´ll get there.
big_smile.png
Thanks for all of your help with the food! I will keep it up! She is getting so cute! I am keeping her inside with us all the time now when we are sleeping or not here. shs is just happier that way. anytime we are outside doing yard work or playing with the ducks she has started to flap her wings to help balance her to walk! so now she looks like she is fluttering when she walks to me!

Thanks for all of your help with the food! I will keep it up! She is getting so cute! I am keeping her inside with us all the time now when we are sleeping or not here. shs is just happier that way. anytime we are outside doing yard work or playing with the ducks she has started to flap her wings to help balance her to walk! so now she looks like she is fluttering when she walks to me!
Sounds good, Andrea. Very well done to you for helping her so much.
thumbsup.gif

Based on what we know about the age of our geese that I have shared, have any of you ever had one that age lay an egg? My wife found a huge egg at the farm today and it is considetably bigger than the duck eggs she collected. If it isn't a goose egg then she should be able to figure which duck laid it because she'll be the one with an icepack smoking a cigarette.

Based on what we know about the age of our geese that I have shared, have any of you ever had one that age lay an egg? My wife found a huge egg at the farm today and it is considetably bigger than the duck eggs she collected. If it isn't a goose egg then she should be able to figure which duck laid it because she'll be the one with an icepack smoking a cigarette.
Here is the franken-egg ...

(shown with large duck eggs)

Could possibly be a duck double-yoker ... it is going in the incubator for sure. Hoping to have a definitive answer in about 4 weeks
wink.png

Here is the franken-egg ...

(shown with large duck eggs)

Could possibly be a duck double-yoker ... it is going in the incubator for sure. Hoping to have a definitive answer in about 4 weeks
wink.png
Going by the first pic, it´s a duck egg. Duck eggs are waxy, goose eggs aren´t. It´s not likely to hatch successfully if it´s a double, best eaten.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom