Pilgrim Geese thread

Now I'm nervously curious as to why Cas (saddle back Pom) laid at 6 months. We weren't expecting anything from her until next season but, she laid a total of 9 eggs at barely 6 months old. Only 5 were "good" eggs though, the others were soft shelled, or otherwise unsalvagable. Is she weird or is it dangerous that she laid early?
I have read of others females laying young I don't think it's anything to worry about as long as she is healthy I think the norm is around 9-10 months though. My Buff female was mating before she hit 5 months old I was a little concerned it would cause her to start laying early too but it didn't she was 9 months old. Nothing can be set in stone when you have animals. I haven't ever heard of anyone saying it's dangerous.

Well that's good news I guess! I suppose she's just as weird when it comes to laying as she has been with everything else! Either that or she just got tired of me calling her a good boy!!! Lol

Well that's good news I guess! I suppose she's just as weird when it comes to laying as she has been with everything else! Either that or she just got tired of me calling her a good boy!!! Lol
LOL
she had something to prove
wink.png

Hello all,

I have two trios of pilgrims which I need to rehome (with a sad heart). One trio is made up of yearlings, the other consists of a proven goose and gander, and one yearling goose.

They're lovely birds, and I would only let them go to good homes within driving distance of me. If anyone is interested, please pm me.

Hello all,

I have two trios of pilgrims which I need to rehome (with a sad heart). One trio is made up of yearlings, the other consists of a proven goose and gander, and one yearling goose.

They're lovely birds, and I would only let them go to good homes within driving distance of me. If anyone is interested, please pm me.
I wonder if @learycow might know of someone?

Hello, does anyone know if male pilgrims are supposed to have a bit of brown/grey on the back of there wings, or are they not purebred

Hello, does anyone know if male pilgrims are supposed to have a bit of brown/grey on the back of there wings, or are they not purebred
The males are supposed to have some color. The breed standards say for the males "Plumage: White, some traces of light grey in back plumage, wings and tail." Basically they should be white with the color being mostly under the wings but its fairly common to see some grey on the males somewhere or other. My gander has actually one very dark feather on one wing. The first year it was light grey but after the second year molt it came back almost black. Not ideal for breed standards but it does happen. If a bit of color is making you uncertain don't worry about it. Pilgrims ganders can have some variety as to where and how much grey shows up but they are always white with some traces of grey.

I got an egg yesterday. Anyone else have Pilgrims or other geese starting to lay? My girl Nimbo has been fairly early before as I recall. Shes a bit of an odd ball though with laying as she also lays a bunch in late fall to early winter so I am never sure as to how she compares to other Pilgrims.

Back
Top Bottom