Pin-Less Peepers

welovechickens

Songster
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
Round Rock
Ok, I broke down and ordered some as a last resort, before I try re-homing my SLW. How long do I leave these things on my chicken? Do I remove them at night? How long does it take to break a chicken habit? LOL

I put the peepers on and leave them. I use the peepers because the hens that I put them on are confirmed chicken-peckers. They adjust to them immediately. Your hens will enjoy the new stress-free environment !

You did get the pliers to put them on with, didn't you?

Last edited:
These are the greatest thing since sliced bread!

Our poor, abused, forlorn..... RIR was getting pecked to the point of just about missing all of her skin on the back of her neck by another RIR and a SLW. We segregated her and did the food coloring in vaseline thing (suddenly had bright green poops) and it worked a bit but still she was getting pecked so much we didn't think she would make it.

Enter the Pinless Peepers. Put them on one RIR and one SLW that seemed to be causing all the trouble and BOOM! Harmony amoungst the ranks.

We just put them on without heating and without the pliers. I just put on some gloves to spread them out enough without hurting my fingers, gently found the nostrils and released them slowly. It took several attempts until the chicken didn't seem to feel anything and they have been good to go since. My wife held the chicken upside down and supported her neck while I fumbled with them to get them on. The whole experience was maybe 15 minutes.

Highly recomend them. Seems to change the whole pecking order (gives them something to do anyway).

They certainly don't seem to mind and nothing else really changes. They can eat and drink just fine. Worms or hand held treats are a bit of a challenge but asside from that, life is normal.

SCP

Back
Top Bottom