Pine Bark Nuggets

Big Doggie

Songster
Mar 23, 2020
Mass
Just wondering if I could buy a few bags of pine bark mulch for the run. So far I’ve added grass clippings but not much else. The clippings get them excited but I can’t supply them with enough to keep the run covered since the lawn is not growing much due to the dry weather.
I thought of pine shavings too but I think it might be prone to mold?
Thanks for your thoughts.

Just wondering if I could buy a few bags of pine bark mulch for the run. So far I’ve added grass clippings but not much else. The clippings get them excited but I can’t supply them with enough to keep the run covered since the lawn is not growing much due to the dry weather.
Thanks for your thoughts.
All I use in my run is wood chips that I put in by the truck load. Does your municipality collect curbside branches in the spring? That is where I get mine. The municipalities collect the branches, shred or chip them then offer them for free to the residents.

All I use in my run is wood chips that I put in by the truck load. Does your municipality collect curbside branches in the spring? That is where I get mine. The municipalities collect the branches, shred or chip them then offer them for free to the residents.
Do you have to dry them out?

There are only a few hundred threads on this lol. Tree service should have wood chips. Pine bark nuggets you buy at Lowes are not the same thing. bark is not the wood of a tree.
hw chips.jpg

Too many clippings can mold too.
Pine shavings can be OK, in small amounts because they mass together and can mold.
Bark nuggets are OK but wood chippings from tree trimming are much better.
If the chippings are wet, green branches and leaves, yes it's good to let them age some first.
Some of us have space for a big pile of chippings and so add them to run in thinner layers.
How big is your run, in feet by feet, and how many birds do you have?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

Composted will build heat and "steam" for years in a big pile.
Fresh chipped green trees wet with sap and leaf tops can mold unlike old compost. Rake it out 2"or less to dry and its OK. Adding as much dried brown to the green chip chips is ok as well. You guys have seem what happens to cut grass. Pile it up and it stays green for days and rots. Rake it out thin and its dry and brown in a day.
Woods chips raked thin are good to go after a week or less in the sun.
Stop over thinking and grab a rake.

Back
Top Bottom