pine bedding at 4 days old

Ellie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 10, 2007
Redding, Ca.
I used paper towels for their "floor" until today. I put in pine shavings.... it is wetter and so I am worried about them.

They seem to love it. I sprinkled some of their food in it... is that what you are supposed to do?

Thanks, I guess I will be hovering over them and writing to y'all in the meantime
hmm.png

Ellie

Make sure they know where the food is already and have their feeders full. They will eat a bit of the shavings but they'll learn fast it isn't good to eat. You probably don't need to do any food sprinkling into the shavings.

I removed the paper towels on Day 6 and found out it was easier to clean the paper towels up than the shavings!
But they were fine, they do like to dig around in it - they seemed to always be looking for SOMETHING, and then they tried to dust bathe in it so I brought in a little dish of dirt and that got ALL over the place, they had a great time - then I built the tractor outside, and thats a life saver! They now go out everyday when the weather is good, and can poop and dig to their hearts content! (they catch lots of Grass hoppers and have a blast)
Less cleaning for me, and very happy chicks!

Thanks so much, I was not sure... they were scratching and pecking at the bedding so I thought if I put food in there they would not eat the shavings.

I appreciate so much the fast replies on this forum.

I will leave them be...
smile.png
though their temp monitor is by my bed and I do get up at 2 or 3am to check on them...

This is just like when I had kids.
big_smile.png

Ellie

Well, they dumped their water and were chirping like crazy. I changed the wet bedding and put only a little in this time and their paper towels over the bedding. Ahhh, quiet finally and they are going to bed.

I used to just have the paper towels ... Well, now I have both and contented chicks.

Chelly, what age were they when you put them outside? I would like to this weekend but they will only be a week old.

Ellie

Last edited:
You can put them outside if it is really warm and make sure they have food, water and shade for a little. But you can put them permenantly in the outside coop when they are 4 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom