Pine bedding for brooder

I agree that granite is not necessary. While it may be superior in quality, most areas have hard stones available that meet the gizzard needs of a flock of birds, as long as they have access to the bare ground. I question if even when confined to a deep composting litter run that they would find adequate grit. If they can free range, they most assuredly will in most areas. I scoop washed gravel from my driveway. It is composed of varying sizes of stone, and the chicks go to town on it when ever I put it in their brooder. I see to it that they get a fresh scoop every week. I can easily increase the particle size simply be selectively choosing from my driveway.

You probably don't even need to be very selective. Take the lazy course.
wink.png
They'll pick out the ones that they can use, just like in nature.

Last edited:
Is it ok to provide grit when we are just giving them chick starter feed? Or is grit only used when you are giving them additional things to eat?

I believe they should have granit grit from day one , also my chicks are on paper towels or paper from day one til they start ripping it up .Then I put them on construction sand .
Eatting shavings is not good, they are digging and having fun maybe a pan of sand would interest them??

My chicks did the exact same things. Just give grit (spread it all over the brooder) around 2 weeks of age. Also, provide a log for them to begin roosting on. Mine LOVED it. Then around 3-4 weeks they can have a roosting bar.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom