Pine in brooder, worrys about fire, advice?? (Pics)

GopherBoyFarms

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 18, 2008
Vancouver WA
We have a brooder that is 6 foot long X 20 inches wide X 18 inches tall. We have two 250 watt red heat bulbs on each side of the brooder and then cool space in the middle. No problems with temp in the brooder. The entire lid hinges up for cleaning and feeding. We have 25 chicks that are now 10 days old. We want to switch from the paper towels to pine shavings now but I am worried about fire. Is it safe to put the shavings in there? Also, any ideas on what to do about the little ones that are growing so fast an learning about their wings....now everytime I open the lid they are trying to fly out. I panic and close the lid. Our brooder is also on legs, about 3 feet off the ground so I am worried that they would have a heck of a fall if they fly out.

We are new to this and need lots of help!! All day yesterday the whole family worked on building the coop and hope to have it done this week.

This message board is AWESOME I am learning so much, but still need much help!

100_0021.jpg

100_0020.jpg

100_0018.jpg

100_0019.jpg

100_0011-1.jpg

100_0012-1.jpg

Just make sure the lamps are securely attached and go ahead and let them jump out. They have tiny wings now and should glide to the floor in a clumsy manner just fine. :p

As for fire, just keep an eye on temps and make sure the hot spots aren't hot enough to burn a slice of bread. Oh, and make sure water doesn't splash up on the bulbs.

I started my chicks at counter height and once they could fly, I lowered it to the floor because I didn't want them to fly and take a dive. I don't think anyone here has had a problem with heat lamps and pine. The only issue would be if is wasn't secured and it feel into the shaves.
Or as silkie says if you can make toast, it is probably too hot!

just an update....we changedout the papertowels to pine shavings today and my little girls LOVE it!! so do I! it smells nice and fresh, and when i tucked them in tonight (went and shut the garage and fed the momma cat that sleeps on the brooder) they are all nesting down asleep....I love my new little babys!!! thanks for all the help!

out of the 25 chicks 6 of them are Polish! Prue, Pipper, phoebe, Paige (white Crsted Black Polish) and Snowball, and Billie The Twins (White Polish). It's great that we are getting the kids to help build the coop.....keeps them off the x-box! and now they both want to do 4-H. Funny thing...the little girl isnt even ours. She is a neighbor but basically lives at our house. And always wants to help out when she is here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom