Pine Needles - To do or not to do.....

nereidlover

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
East Texas
Where we live there is an abundance of dry, fallen pine needles everywhere (east Texas). Being the eco savey chick I try to be, I had hoped to use them as a free alternative to pine shavings for the floor of the coop/run as well as bedding for the nest boxes. I will be using the deep litter method. I've searched the threads on this and can't seem to find a reliable answer. Some people say they have for years, others say they're laden with tics. What do you know about it?

i have tryed it but it was a mess when they poo on it it gets stuck together its a pane to clean i would recomend pine chips use could proble use it for the nesting boxes t might give your chicken mites im nor possitive and i am no expert

I've used pine straw (as it's known here) and not had any problems. I use it in the nesting boxes and on the dirt in th run. Throw scratch feed on it and the chickens will turn it and their poop. When it starts to break down, take it out and compost it or throw more pine straw, pine shavings, or cheap grass hay on top. The chickens will do the rest.

Well, it certainly doesn't sound like a bad idea, but there are a variety of environmentally friendly alternatives I've heard of. I shred newspaper (NY Times printed on Soy Ink) and it works great. A friend in Vermont recommended it to me because its an endless supply of flooring at no extra cost. Clear it out once a week (or however often depending on your flock size) and your set! With pine needles, I would be afraid that they could catch fire or something if they got too dry? But thats just me.

I've used pine straw (as it's known here) and not had any problems. I use it in the nesting boxes and on the dirt in th run. Throw scratch feed on it and the chickens will turn it and their poop. When it starts to break down, take it out and compost it or throw more pine straw, pine shavings, or cheap grass hay on top. The chickens will do the rest.

Glad to hear that pine straw works for you because I've got that in abundance here in the NC Sandhills with our longleaf and loblolly pines.

Back
Top Bottom