Pine Shavings bad for baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by curiositykt, Apr 9, 2012.

1. curiositykt

curiositykt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Marlborough MA
    I thought I was all set, but then last night before bed I decided to reread the section on brooders in City Chicks and she wrote that pine were nearly as bad as cedar... I'm really not sure where I'll find aspen around me as ag stores are few and far between in metro Boston.

Would Care Fresh bedding work?

How old is safe enough for pine?

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    I and many folkm have used only pine shavings, without problems.

3. Chick Norris

Chick Norris Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Chester County, PA
    Pine is fine. If you're worried about them eating it, just place some paper towels over the shavings for the first week or two. It makes for easy clean up anyway. You just roll up the soiled ones and lay down new ones. I've never heard of pine causing any respiratory problems, in case that is your concern.

4. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah

I've used pine shavings in the past, with no problems. The only thing, is that it's a mess it clean up and it causes more dust IMO. I've never used care fresh bedding with chickens, so have no advice on that one. I just use paper towels for the first week and then switch over to straw, has always worked best for me. Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  5. curiositykt

curiositykt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Marlborough MA
    Thanks everyone for reassuring me!

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I've brooded hundreds of chicks over the years on pine shavings. No paper towels, just straight onto the shavings. Never lost a one to eating them. Just make sure there is reasonable ventilation and clean the brooder when it gets nasty.

1 person likes this.
  7. CAPTAIN CLUCKER

CAPTAIN CLUCKER New Egg

May 10, 2016
    We've used both pine and wood pellets(made for pellet stoves) found that the pine is best because when wet it won't resolve as quickly as the pellets......lol..I was raised in NYC and surrounding area, I know call home VALE, South Dakota population 114....people not thousands ...lol....how does one keep chickens in Bean Town????? I think that's awesome!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by