Pine Shavings bad for baby chicks?

curiositykt

Songster
8 Years
Apr 4, 2012
Marlborough MA
I thought I was all set, but then last night before bed I decided to reread the section on brooders in City Chicks and she wrote that pine were nearly as bad as cedar... I'm really not sure where I'll find aspen around me as ag stores are few and far between in metro Boston.

Would Care Fresh bedding work?

How old is safe enough for pine?

Pine is fine. If you're worried about them eating it, just place some paper towels over the shavings for the first week or two. It makes for easy clean up anyway. You just roll up the soiled ones and lay down new ones. I've never heard of pine causing any respiratory problems, in case that is your concern.

I thought I was all set, but then last night before bed I decided to reread the section on brooders in City Chicks and she wrote that pine were nearly as bad as cedar... I'm really not sure where I'll find aspen around me as ag stores are few and far between in metro Boston.

Would Care Fresh bedding work?

How old is safe enough for pine?

I've used pine shavings in the past, with no problems. The only thing, is that it's a mess it clean up and it causes more dust IMO. I've never used care fresh bedding with chickens, so have no advice on that one. I just use paper towels for the first week and then switch over to straw, has always worked best for me. Good luck!

Last edited:
I've brooded hundreds of chicks over the years on pine shavings. No paper towels, just straight onto the shavings. Never lost a one to eating them. Just make sure there is reasonable ventilation and clean the brooder when it gets nasty.

We've used both pine and wood pellets(made for pellet stoves) found that the pine is best because when wet it won't resolve as quickly as the pellets......lol..I was raised in NYC and surrounding area, I know call home VALE, South Dakota population 114....people not thousands ...lol....how does one keep chickens in Bean Town????? I think that's awesome!!!

Back
Top Bottom