Pine shavings in brooder

I used shavings with paper towels for only a couple days, then removed the paper towels....they did great...you can also place a branch in there for them to roost on and sleep....keeps them busy also jumping around on it!

68634_dsc_0200.jpg

My 3 EE's when they were only about a week old....

They are doing great! The shavings are course and DH put feeder and waterer on top of 6x8 boards......YAY! I've taken pictures......as soon as I feed everyone else, I'll try to post if it'll let me.....Thank you....I love ya'll so much!

I'm trying to decide if I should use the finer shavings or the bigger shavings. Any help would be greatly appreciated as my chicks are in transit via the post today!

I use the larger shavings in both the coop and the brooder. It is less likely that the chicks will eat it and it puts out a lot less dust as they scratch around in it. Plus, my experience is that the larger shavings are just plain easier to clean up in the coop when that chore roll around.

Thank you so much for the replies. It's wearing me out trying to keep the towels clean. I've heard of them eating them and Lord knows I don't want that! I think I'm going to try replacing the towels this afternoon...it's just I can't watch them all day tomorrow to see how they do.......
sad.png
I'm pretty sure the only time there is a danger of them eating the pine shavings is when they are first born. They don't know the difference between shavings and food, they should be covered with paper towels for the first day or two. At the age of yours there should be no problem with them mistaking shavings for food. I'm new to all this but that is how it was explained to me. Good luck!!

I used shavings with paper towels for only a couple days, then removed the paper towels....they did great...you can also place a branch in there for them to roost on and sleep....keeps them busy also jumping around on it!

68634_dsc_0200.jpg

My 3 EE's when they were only about a week old....
If you don't mind me asking what is that you have in the bowl to the left of the water?

If you don't mind me asking what is that you have in the bowl to the left of the water?
its actually a bowl of moist chick starter and a few cut up grapes...which they didn't eat really....they are now to POL...they grow so fast! ( the one on the far left ended up being a roo...)

ok i see the grapes now at first i thought they were hot peppers and i couldn't figure it out. I can see they are grapes now. That just goes to show how stressed and worried i am about my chicks. I am very afraid i am going to do something wrong. Anyway, I actually just got a call from the post office and am on my way to pick them up right now. thanks for getting back to me

Back
Top Bottom