Pine shavings or Aspen Shaving?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by the Precious Ladies, Feb 20, 2011.

1. the Precious Ladies

the Precious Ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Maryland
    I had my first chicks last year and I used Pine shaving in the brooder and the chickens were all fine and I still use pine shavings for my pullets in their coop. Though, I just read part of "City Chicks" and the author said not to use Pine due to respitory problems, but instead to use Aspen shavings for chicks. Your thoughts please?

2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Respiratory issues are more of a rodent/reptile thing, and don't effect poultry very much if at all. I've been raising chickens forever and I've never had problems with pine shavings [​IMG] also, pine is Much cheaper than Aspen (I have to use Aspen with my snake because pine will cause respiratory problems)

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I just know that cedar shavings are a no-no.

4. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I use pine shavings with my chickens and haven't had any problems at all with them.

5. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Quote:Why? Ive heard of people in my area using ceder and there chickens are fine.?

6. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    Cedar is toxic to chickens. Cedar shavings and chips have lots of natural oils and resins that interfere with chickens' respiratory systems. Chicks are affected much more quickly. Stick to pine shavings... cheap and safe for chicks, plus it composts much more quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by