Pine Shavings or Straw

Interesting ... I never thought of doing a combo. Are you using this type of set up now?
Yep. I think it happened because I needed to change the bedding and the feed store was out of pine shavings. So I got straw that day. Then later on I added pine shavings to it. The straw fills the coop up nicely and seems to stay thicker and the shavings mix in to absorb odors.

I like kiln dried pine shavings on the floor, they are way more absorptive than straw. I use a thinner layer(1-2") in the summer and thicker layer (4-6") in the winter so they can snuggle down for a rest during those frigid cold days. My coop floor is insulated and 12-18'" off the ground. I totally change out the shavings spring and fall and set to compost.

I like straw in the nests because it holds together better to form a cushion for eggs, and less likely to get scratched out of the nests. I also use straw to spread thinly over the snow in the run so they will be more active, they don't like to walk on the snow...and I put more down during snow melt to cut down on the mud getting tracked into the coop.

I used straw until a chicken died from impacted crop after eating a bit of straw and having it clog tbe crop. Not trying to sound like a downer, juat sharing.

I'm currently using a straw/pine mix as well... The straw keeps the bedding 'poofy' and helps with compacting, while the pine dries up the poop... Seems at least for me to be working well... I have been out there with a pitch fork turning it about every 2 weeks...

The initial bedding I put down was 6 bales of straw and 6 bags of pine... Since then I have been adding leaves, pine needles and even dry grass as I clean up the yard for winter...

And if it matters the straw I used was more of a cattle feed straw, not the true yellow bedding straw... Almost like a 50/50 hay straw mix with some corn stalks/leaves tucked inside, to be honest, pretty ugly straw but the price was right and it works fine for bedding...

I tried pure pine and pure straw earlier this year, but wasn't happy with either, the pine cost too much and the straw wasn't absorbent enough the mix seems to be the best of both worlds for me...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom