Pine Shavings Question

bgates1970

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Somewhere, Close
My chicks are now 4 days old. Tonight I removed the paper towels and put down a good inch or pine shavings in their brooder. They seem to love it quite a bit but they are picking up the tiny pieces and eating them. From what I read on several other posts is that they will eventually figure out the shavings don't taste good.

Should I be worried if they eat too much if any at all? Also, should I be sprinkling some grit in the pine shavngs? I have them on Durmo chick starter.

Don't let them eat too much of it. If necessary, put the paper toweling down over it. You won't need chick grit until you feed them anything other than the chick feed. If you can find it, buy premium large flake pine shavings at your feed store. My feed store sells a cheaper bale of pine shavings, but it is smaller flaked and much dustier.
smile.png

Yes! Cedar shavings emit a dangerous fume that can kill your chicks! Remove them quickly and go back to paper towels until you get the pine shavings! You are probably OK, so don't panic, but just don't leave those cedar shavings in there.
smile.png

I just removed all the shavings, scrubbed the brooder down and put down a couple layers of paper towels. Thankfully, they were only on the Cedar Shavings for about an hour or two.

I'm sort of ticked because my local Tractor Supply was promoting the sale of chicks. They had a section in the middle of the store when you first walk in that had, brooder lamps, bulbs, Chick Starter, fencing material, waterers, feeders and RED CEDAR SHAVINGS.

The store just opened about 9 months ago so I don't think the staff is very knowledgeable (heck neither am I) on raising chicks.

Should I give my chicks anything to "grease the wheel" or just let them be?

I was thinking that the feed store personnel should have known better and said something since you were buying chick supplies. Unfortunately, most employees just want to ring you up and make the sale. I've been reading accounts like this more than I like to see. Anyway, no harm done. I'm not certain what you mean by "grease the wheel"... a bit slow, I guess, but you are fine now. Just enjoy your chicks and relax now.
smile.png

Quote:
Please call your local TSC and let them know that Cedar shavings are toxic to chicks- and to please not promote the use of them for chicks.
roll.png
They should know better. Im certainly not bheing snarky to you, we learn stuff every day, me included. But those guys at TSC should know better.

Back
Top Bottom