pine shavings ??:

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dadsgirl, Apr 18, 2009.

1. dadsgirl

dadsgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    jay, florida
    at what age can you put pine shavings in the box with your chicks???

angie

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I've been told from day one. That's what I use when mine are young. Also aspen shavings are a good choice as well.

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I put them in with my chicks, when they are 2 or 3 days old.

4. Eggie and Me

Eggie and Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    When we got our chicks they were on a COLD cement floor with pine shavings. Gads, to the cold cement floor [​IMG].... We've continued the pine shavings and all is very well. We also give our girls old socks to sleep on which they go crazy for each time I give them new ones which is twice a day and turning inbetween.. Yeah, so I'm a first time mom [​IMG]. They even started scratching around in their shavings yesterday, way to sweet....[​IMG]

5. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    They had pine shavings since they were put in the brooder. It was messy sometimes, I also put some newpaper down covered with pine shavings.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  6. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    I had mine on paper towels for maybe a day. Way too much poo going on there. Off to the store I went to get pine shavings. I will never go back to paper towels!

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I like paper towels, a few layers of them, on top of pine shavings. I figure by the time I've removed all the layers of messy paper towels, they have figured out where their food is, and will be less likely to eat the shavings, or eat a lot less of them

JMHO.

8. cluckylisa

cluckylisa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Central Minnesota
    Pine shavings are a must. I did paper towels on top of them for the first day and after seeing the girls go right for the feeder went to straight pine shavings after that.

I keep a garden trowel next to the brooder and turn the bedding every day. Keeps the smell under control, and I'll change the bedding when the turning doesn't help anymore.

I also found you need at least a couple inches of pine shavings on top of plastic bin floors, otherwise the little critters slip around too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by