Pine Shavings

DesertDog

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
I am using the deep litter method with pine shavings. I'm concerned though because when they eat scraps, etc. it gets all covered in the shavings. Therefore they must be eating the shavings as well. Is that dangerous for the chickens? Plus it even gets in their feeders of food and water.

welcome-byc.gif
Are they chicks or adults? Adults no worries chicks over a few days no worries .. Lil ones under a few days, I would cover the pine for a few days and then they will be fine.. I use DL and it hasnt harmed my girls any... When you say scraps , do you mean like human food scraps? If so I would put those outside not in the coop/.. I would be afraid any human food would attract mice , flies, maggots and many other things you dont want in your coop ...

i would assume it could plug up their crop. i use the pellets (horse bedding from tsc) i was affraid they would eat it but they dont & let me tell you it is great i have 7 in my little coop & the bedding has been in there for 2 mths & there is no smell & i put a bag & 1/2 in it.
it lasts forever!!

I may be mistaken but I dont think you compost in your coop .. My understanding is you use the DL method adding DE or Stall Dry with a lil scratch and the chickens turn it up then in 6 months when you want to change bedding then you compost.. I would not want to compost in the coop with my chickens I would be very worried they would get sick from the decompostion gases not to mention the bugs..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom