Pine tar and brittle feathers

No, they were staggered enough so they couldn't poop on each other, but they could reach over a pull out a feather if they were so inclined. I moved them even farther apart to remove all opportunity for pecking.

Sadly, I witnessed two of the Barred Rocks be really aggressive to my gentle aracauna tonight. I have questioned their roles in this pecking matter (they are not the whole problem but have indicated several times that they are willing participants). They are going to the small coop for a couple of weeks to think about it! I don't think that is all the problem by any means but if I can remove it little by little perhaps my sanity will return.

Fair enough. :) I just wanted to ask, since I knew forced perspective could be throwing me off.

It sounds like you are on the right track toward everyone getting along. I'm sorry to hear about the attack. I know this has been frustrating for you. I hope we are reaching the end of your dilemma!

MrsB

18 inches...holy moly mine are too high. I can lower them down. I was trying to avoid more holes in the walls (I am a bit uptight about stuff like that), but I will do it next week. The roosts do run across the coop between the chicken door to the run and the nesting boxes. I may go 24 inches just to allow them space to go under the roosts comfortably - can you envision any problems with that?. (In the pic I posted they looked lower than they were but they are really 3.5 - 4 feet. )

I don't have access to sand now, but have a guy with a wood chipper bringing a load of wood chips in to increase drainage until I can get some sand. The plan is to fill 1/3 of the run in about 8-12 inches of wood chips right now and add a swale to reduce uphill runoff. During the summer I would like to raise the run floor level with sand , maybe another 1/3, which would leave me with about 1/3 to attempt greenery, which from what I have seen doesn't stand much of a change. I also am getting a temporary electric fence so that we can range them more when we are home. The fences come highly recommended and we are getting more used to the idea after the trauma of the dogs last summer. I KNOW the gals would be so much happier doing what chickens do!

I had been told that ACV would offer sulfur as well as keep them hydrated in summer along with reducing algae in drinking founts. But I wasn't aware of the negative effects - thank you for letting me know.

We did buy grit ( not sure if it is granite) but we put it in a bowl with the oyster shells for them to have at will.

Is Probios the brand name? Other than the ACV all I have been putting in the water is Avia Charge

Thanks!

18 inches...holy moly mine are too high. I can lower them down. I was trying to avoid more holes in the walls (I am a bit uptight about stuff like that), but I will do it next week. The roosts do run across the coop between the chicken door to the run and the nesting boxes. I may go 24 inches just to allow them space to go under the roosts comfortably - can you envision any problems with that?. (In the pic I posted they looked lower than they were but they are really 3.5 - 4 feet. )

Chickens can duck it. They'll spend more time elsewhere than under roosts. It beats having to treat staph infections (bumblefoot).

I don't have access to sand now, but have a guy with a wood chipper bringing a load of wood chips in to increase drainage until I can get some sand. The plan is to fill 1/3 of the run in about 8-12 inches of wood chips right now and add a swale to reduce uphill runoff. During the summer I would like to raise the run floor level with sand , maybe another 1/3, which would leave me with about 1/3 to attempt greenery, which from what I have seen doesn't stand much of a change. I also am getting a temporary electric fence so that we can range them more when we are home. The fences come highly recommended and we are getting more used to the idea after the trauma of the dogs last summer. I KNOW the gals would be so much happier doing what chickens do!

Avoid sharp jagged wood "chips". Dried, sifted pine shavings are great for the floor area inside coops, but I wouldn't recommend that in the yard as it will just rot and encourage mold to grow underneath, and habitation of vectors. Irrigating with drainage pipe, making mounds of clean fill dirt, or something like that may be what you want to direct water with.

I had been told that ACV would offer sulfur as well as keep them hydrated in summer along with reducing algae in drinking founts. But I wasn't aware of the negative effects - thank you for letting me know.

There is no additive that can be added to prevent algae buildup in drinking water containers which is good for your birds day after day. Keeping water out of the sun light, and cleaning waterers with a brush and a spritz of Oxine will prevent bacterial buildup. Rinse them out at the end of each day. Keeping water troughs high enough off the ground to keep dirt and filth out helps keep it clean all day long.

We did buy grit ( not sure if it is granite) but we put it in a bowl with the oyster shells for them to have at will.

Is Probios the brand name? Other than the ACV all I have been putting in the water is Avia Charge

Probios dispersible powder is a brand name, and a good quality probiotic more easily retained in the intestinal tract: http://www.probios.com/powdersgranules1.html
Whey in the ingredients provide the saccharides (food for good gut bacteria). A healthy gut means a healthy immune system.

Probiotics are more beneficial when used in dechlorinated water. I leave water overnight before adding probiotics that morning. I do it once a week at 1 tsp per gallon. Here's a bit about probiotics and chickens:
http://poultryone.com/articles/probiotics-html

Avia Charge is sold by McMurray. It seems like a good product, but is quite expensive compared to other good quality supplements such as Dawe's Stress-eez Plus and Dawelite: http://www.qcsupply.com/540384-streseez-plus.html
A little goes a long way since each require only .25 tsp per gallon of water.

Thanks!

You're welcome. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hi All you wonderful, knowledgeable chicken enthusiasts!
I just administered the second dose of wormer and thought I should update everyone who has not only saved my girls but also pulled me from the brink of insanity.

I pray I will not jinx it, but things seem to be on the mend. I still have 3 girls that I put in jail and want to keep them their until I sort out this issue (they were the three that acted the most pecky toward others and the roo). Depending how their return is taken, they may live off in their own bungalow permanently.

The rest are not visibly pecking each other, other than re-establishing pecking order. There is no more blood and doesn't appear to be any growing bald patches. The poopy butts are gone (could be that is were the bald butts came from, but again, not getting worse). No sign of external parasites. And on a couple, I see the cutest little feathers starting to grow in the bald/previous pecked areas.

I searched droppings for days searching for evidence of worms, but didn't find any. But that doesn't mean they weren't there. They love Feather Fixer and I started making some fermented food for them as well. The even roosts really made bedtime a lot more peaceful!

One of my girls got really weak and lost weight during ordeal, and we feared the worst. But although she is still way too light, she is holding her own and eating. I give her yogurt as a boost too. Her comb is still way too pale but doesn't seem to be getting worse. When she was young, she grew really fast and got really heavy quickly so I question if something else internal is wrong, but none-the-less she is trying.

So the only pecking I see consistently is the rooster. He is kept in a smaller cage within the larger coop so they can always see him. But can't be with them unattended otherwise the girls would pluck him bald and I do not think he cares. (He is currently tailless). But this is a different MO than the other pecking. The others were relentless saddle pecking where this is one feather at a time off his chest, sides, or butt which is then consumed. If anyone is bored, I will take free advice on that kooky ordeal!

Thanks to all of the wonderful caring advice. I have learned so much and have filled note pages with information! I will keep following your advice and will keep you updated!
Kate

Sad and interesting twist...

Well, as I feared, I jinxed it. Everything was fine yesterday: new feathers coming in, peaceful roosting routine, no feather picking. Up in the "jail" with our 3 worst peckers everything was peaceful as well with no feather loss, no fighting - the mean girls were all getting along.

And then I got home from work today. 75% of my newly feathered hens were even more bald than before. Pale bald patches up their backs and even girls that were previously left alone were now featherless. And up in "jail" 2 of the 3 showed brand new bald patches.

If I hadn't spent 5 hours outside with them yesterday observing and working, I wouldn't have believed it.

The only thing that has changed since I wrote my update is I ran out of FF about 3 days ago and didn't make any more as they didn't seem to be eating any (or very little).

Any thoughts on what would trigger a relapse in two separate and peaceful areas?

Please???

Pinless peepers. They will help. I have feather pickers I put peepers on 3 of the worst pickers and it has helped. Didn't have naked chickens this winter. I have tried everything except the ax.
another thing to consider is rodents grazing their feathers while the chickens sleep.

We had a geomagnetic storm hit the North Pole today around 9am (Central). :/

I am stumped. I wonder if it's time to invest in a GoPro for the coop??

MrsB

We had a geomagnetic storm hit the North Pole today around 9am (Central). :/

I am stumped. I wonder if it's time to invest in a GoPro for the coop??

MrsB

That possibly could be affecting animals. Mine have been acting really weird the last 2 days. Around noon they were highly distressed & aggitated for no apparent reason.

That possibly could be affecting animals. Mine have been acting really weird the last 2 days. Around noon they were highly distressed & aggitated for no apparent reason.

I hear that. My girls were screaming yesterday about nothing... Or what is perceived as "nothing." They are usually very quiet and calm, but something, as you say, was distressing and agitating them.

MrsB

Oh my goodness. Just when I think I had explored every option. Very interesting! As a biologist I am sad to say it never occurred to me.

I am going to Google 'GoPro' now

Back
Top Bottom