1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pineapple

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wekiva bird, Sep 25, 2012.

1. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    Can chickens eat Pineapple? Did not find it on the list of treats .Any info. will be helpful. Thanks

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    They should be fine eating Pineapple.

3. sunshine ducky

sunshine ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Illinois
    if the food product are chips or meat or unhealthy foods no but fruits like pineapple is fine! [​IMG]

4. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Mine eat meat all the time and love it. Spaghetti sauce with meat is a favorite as well as any scrapings from dinner plates that might include whatever meat we had that night.

If I don't feed it to them, they'll get their own. Snakes are a favorite and I thought I'd have to pull a frog out of one of my girl's throat as she consumed it WHOLE! At one point she had both the hind legs hanging out of her mouth and it looked like she had a mustache! [​IMG]

Chickens are omnivores. Mother Nature designed them to eat meat and, frankly, they could use the protein. I'd keep away from cured or salted meat, though.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    No Meat?
    You do know that chickens are Omnivores, don't you?

Chris

6. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    It is so awesome to see them catch things. Mine love mice and one of my hens always swallows them whole. Haven't seen a snake yet but I bet that is really impressive.

I definitely give meat scraps and lots of bugs. yum.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  7. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    The very first time I saw them with a snake I actually started to run away! Guess I forgot that they were in the run and couldn't come after me. LOL! I have three girls and one had a black snake about a foot in length in her mouth. She was running from the other two gal's who were giving a MIGHTY chase! Finally one of the other girls grabbed on and they tore that snake in two, each one gulping down their respective end.

The second snake I saw was about 8 inches long and my gal ate the whole thing before the other two could begin the chase. She's the same gal who ate the frog whole. Brother, did that one gross me out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by